Getting a new harddrive but dont know which...

Best answers
Im getting a harddrive for our caribean holiday called "Los Tres Reyes Magos" that translates to "Three Magic Kings", Anyways i dont know which harddrive to get since i have no idea what that ATA and stuff means. I have a Dell Dimension 8300 and i want to install it as a second harddrive and want to use it so i can have more games installed. I aiming for a 40gig hd. Any one got any links ?

Thanks in advance

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
First I don't think they make 40's anymore

Seagate or Western Digital are the best to go for

Best answers
The price you are going to pay for a 40GB HD you might as well spend a few more $$$ and get yourself at least an 80GB HD.

Try www.newegg.com for some prices.

Best answers
Well i think i can scrape a few more bucks for a 80 gig Hd. but what are these stats?

Average Seek Time: 8.9 ms
Buffer: 8MB
Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
Interface: IDE ULTRA ATA100

do these really matter for what i want it for? Im sorry im a total noob at this PC part stuff.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the faster the rpm the quicker the drive will be - 7200 is average, which is fine for most purposes. 8mb buffer is ok too, again this affects the speed but its fine.

What's the price?

Best answers
Well i decided im gona get:

Western Digital Special Edition 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model WD800JB, OEM Drive Only

Model# WD800JB
Item # N82E16822144122

Specifications:
Capacity: 80GB
Average Seek Time: 8.9 ms
Buffer: 8MB
Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
Interface: IDE ULTRA ATA100
Features: High-performance with 8MB Buffer
Manufacturer Warranty: 3 years
Packaging: OEM Drive Only

price is 62$. you see since im getting this for our holiday. the more i have to spend for a present for the person who will give me this. well this info helped alot! thanks guys.

if you guys have anything else to add then do so. i dont wanna get a crappy drive.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Chitenga said:
Im getting a harddrive for our caribean holiday called "Los Tres Reyes Magos" that translates to "Three Magic Kings", Anyways i dont know which harddrive to get since i have no idea what that ATA and stuff means. I have a Dell Dimension 8300 and i want to install it as a second harddrive and want to use it so i can have more games installed. I aiming for a 40gig hd. Any one got any links ?

Thanks in advance
Best bet for cheap internal is newegg.com. Stay away from Western Digital; at my old job they have proven to be unreliable and crash-prone compared to most others, in their experiences. You'll definitely want at least a 7200rpm one for gaming. And...internal's good, but...

...if you have a firewire port, you might want to consider this Maxtor model I just got myself. Installing games to it, it seems to work great, and it has an earth-shattering 160 gigabytes of space. It only cost me 200 bucks retail, so I bet on newegg you could find it for plenty less.

EDIT: didn't see that western digital drive there that you posted. That's a good deal, I'd take it. Even if the drive does give you any grief, you're only using it for games so reinstalling is always an option.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Raptor+Win bootup=insanely fast.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's all I would need and more. I have a 40 right now, and I have never once came withign 10 gigabytes of filling it up. 74 is way more than I need.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I wish I had your storage needs then, my 120GB and 20GB need constant maintenace and file removal.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I dunno. My 40 is really full cause of games I refuse to uninstall, but my 160 hasn't even got a 12 gig dent in it yet...and I regularly add huge files to it.

Best answers
Seems that my friend hasnt gotten me anything yet. so im keeping his 2 PS2 games till he does. I guess i have more time to deside. I will seriosly consider all above said. Ive had the Initial Harddrive that came with my dell for a year now and it has never crashed on me. it has 60GB (well 55GB, for some reason it wont show the other 5) I always make sure it has atleast 20% of free space. but with cristmas i got like 4 games that require like 3 or more GB's to install. I guess i'll put some of my left over money to get atleast a 100GB HD.

Well thanks guys. This helps alot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom