Fight Club Vs. Microsoft Word -- WTF?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This happens to me constantly. In fact, EVERY SINGLE TIME I POST a Fight Club round. Was wondering if anyone around here knew a way around it.

Okay, so, when I crack open a new round of Fight Club, I open word, set the style as plain text, and save the file as a plain text file (txt) before I even start typing. This is because I know Word very well and know it's a *****y prog to paste out of because it uses a bunch of its own formatting conditions.

I finish the post, then open it in notepad and paste it into the reply box, and all looks as it should. I go through, maybe fix something here or there, bold or italicize some stuff (because you can't do that on a plain text file) and I, you know, just "do my thing" in general. I fix the font (because it pastes in as the plaintext font, Courier) and when I'm all done prettying the thing up, I hit post.

And it never, ever works. Ever.

It always comes back with an error saying I'm using too many HTML/board tags/images in my post, when I've used none.

Looking down at the text of my post in this new error window, there are now random huge spaces at every point where I pressed enter. Sometimes (like today, trying to post back to Smith) there are seemingly random characters like >> or > > at the end of lines in addition to these double spacings. There are also occasionally "doubled" spaces that I suspect are invisible html code. Seems like a minor annoyance, right?

But wait! There's more!!!

I think to myself, "Okay, massive pain in the ass, but I'll just go through and highlight what's retarded, erase it, and manually redo the paragraph breaks right IN the editing window." Well, that doesn't work. It STILL changes itself to be retarded.

So with today's post, I decided to try to paste the screwy post back into word to see if I could make some sense of the random little invisible spaces and giant line breaks that ruin every Fight Club post I make. What I saw was stuff similar to this:

<O :p

The keystroke for that smily--which was all over my post when pasted back to Word, but not visible at all in the forum error window-- is : followed immediately by a P. Suspiciously similar to the ****ty paragraph tag in HTML. Could it be that my formatting is getting messed up because word is making a paragraph tag at the end of my paragraphs even though I am editing a plaintext file?!

Any help is greatly appreciated as I have a sweet match to post against Smith and I'd like to do it before long.

By the way: If nobody knows a way around this...I'm going to start just making my posts HTML pages and leaving links to them.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's why I just use simple ol' WordPad.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, unfortunately, I left my post in work, so it waits until Monday unless I VPN in to them tonight or tomorrow.

It is a big one, too. And by "big," I mean "Quality." Hehe.

Well I guess I'll just use wordpad, since the only reason I use word is for the margins, anyway.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I use MS Word when typing a post, Arial font, size 12, clear format, and i've had no problems, try selecting different formatting options before copying+pasting, or just try the thing Prozac said.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cucumba said:
I use notepad, and manually check my own grammar and spelling.
'nuff said. Why use Word if you use plain text anyway?

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why bother with plain text. Just go for times new roman or arial and after you're done copy it and paste. If I was confident in my ability to check my own grammar I'd do what Cuc does, but I'm not. Trying to be fancy and saving it as plain text is what is screwig it up. If you want to make it plain text to conserve space on your computer, do that after you've pasted it and posted it.

Best answers
yeah pride, there is no need to use plain text, I just open up a new document, and start typing...i never have problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom