Getting really annoying

Best answers
Ever since Sp2 came out for windows xp, i got it and it ran smoothly, firewall ran with it, udpates came to my computer and installed easily but lately its been screwing around with my comp

my zonealarm no longer functions with the sp2 security centre which is really frustrating because the firewall is running and a bloody message keeps popping up telling me my firewall isn't on!!! secondly, updates for windows come and i select and download them but next day, these updates come again and every single time i've accepted to download them they come back the next day

does anybody know whats busted up on my service centre? i dont really want to re-install because i've got a load of stuff right now on my windows, could it be spyware? trojans? viruses? i've already got avg and spybot so they should do

also on another note, this is more modem related but since i am poor, i can not afford broadband as it is very expensive in australia so i have to resort to dial up. i am currently using a really slow 28 k modem and i really want to get a cheap 56k internal one so i can download some things faster overnight as i get a max of 2kb on this old piece of crap. i have had a bad history with internal 56k modems and i dont know whether to get one, thers a web excel one priced at fifteen australian dollars with a conexant chip, does anybody know if this is any good

thanks for your help

Best answers
Well, i had zonealarm also, and it works ok for me, sometimes it give me problems, and i dont know about the that modem, but the one i got is a Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem. Gives me a steady 44.6 every time i connect. Hey, im haveing some Sp2 problems as well and i guess this is a common problem to. Everytime i go to start my pc it always gets past the Windows XP logo, then restarts. Sometimes it will start up right away, then other times it restarts 2. 3. maybe 4 times before getting to the login screen. I dont know if there is an update yet to fix this but if there is let me know

Best answers
i've also had another weird problem but i dont know if its the same as yours, sometmes my windows starts up and gets to the login screen then it just stops, it doesnt freeze, it justs stops and nothing happens and you cant log in, my friend came over and installed a stramelined package of windows xp sp2 for me and now it works fine

Best answers
Windows is only trying to tell you that your Windows Firewall isn't on, not the Zonealarm one. All you have to do is double click on the red shield in your task-bar, go to firewall, and check 'I have a Firewall I'll monitor myself.' And bam, it won't bother you anymore.

Best answers
well that would fix it but windows before could detect my zonealarm firewall, now it can't, i just want to know why it does this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom