Connection speed goes...Super Saiyan

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've had a 1mbps connection for a few months now but recently it's been disconnecting then reconnecting as a 2.2mbps connection. At first I thought it was cosmetic but then my BitTorrent speed started blazing at 90/90kbs instead of the usual 48/48kbs, although annoyingly it doesn't seem to make the download finish any faster. The 'time remaining' adjusts due to the new 'speed' so it says it's got 10 minutes left, then finishes in half an hour. I'm thoroughly confused about the whole thing, i've contacted my ISP but they couldn't reccomend anything unless it was a spyware program messing with my system. Can anyone help me?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't know about the actual problem but I can tell you this much: save yourself a lot of trouble and don't gauge your speed by bit torrent's speed readings. They're usually not very accurate at all in my experience. There are broadband websites that will tell you mcuh more accurately; with that info you can probably find a solution.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I took your advice and after a bit of searching came across the Download/Upload meter. This was it's reading:

Ignore the background, it's just my wallpaper. Thats a reading of nearly 270kbs or 2.7mbps. My max was usually 112kbs.

It gives a similar reading in KaZaA and even IE. I phoned BT (my ISP) again but they knew nothing about it.

Best answers
Well im not sure, I havn't used BT as my ISP but I think that they upgraed to a 2Mb/s service a while back. It could have been like NTL's cable service that just upgradeds all their existing customers to faster connections for free when these came avaiable to them. I would check what ADSL package you have with BT and make sure that first you are paying for the package that you think you are paying for (i.e. Say if you payed £15 for your 1Mb/s service that if you are getting a 2Mb/s you are still paying £15 for it, and they havnt jacked up the price). Also check that in your DU meter setting that you have "show the average value" checked. This will give you a better picture of your connection speed i beleive.

Another point I just want to ask is, when i was searching around for a decent ADSL ISP, i found that BT, although provided fast connection speeds, also put a maximum on the amount that you download of the internet, this including Files, webpages etc... . Are you actually affected by this, because i see these annoying adverts on TV for AOL (i know they suck) with people browsing through shared family pictures and then getting dusconnect because they have reached their monthly download limit.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well, we were on 1mb, but then bt decided to upgrade everyone currently on 1mb for free to a 2mb connection, i dunno what deals they are giving to people on 2mb...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heihachi Mishima said:
Another point I just want to ask is, when i was searching around for a decent ADSL ISP, i found that BT, although provided fast connection speeds, also put a maximum on the amount that you download of the internet
There's no download limit on BT, or at least the package I got.

Almighty_gir said:
well, we were on 1mb, but then bt decided to upgrade everyone currently on 1mb for free to a 2mb connection, i dunno what deals they are giving to people on 2mb...
Well I was on 1mb and now it's 2mb (2.2mb but whatever) so I guess that explains it :)

@Carnage - Thanks, yeah it works but the reading was almost the same, a little bit less but still higher than a 1mb could do.

@Everyone - Thanks for your time and help, i'm going to go download some stuff now :)

Best answers
Ravendust said:
Thats a reading of nearly 270kbs or 2.7mbps
You may have solved your problem, but I want to correct this before you or anyone else gets the wrong idea.

270 kbps isn't 2.7 mbps. Not even close... lol. There are 1024 kb in one mb. You have a download speed of .26 mbps. =p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh. I thought it was 100kb to 1mb, but clearly there's a difference between kilobytes and kilobits. Thanks SS :D

Best answers
to find out the ur internet speed, take ur average download speed, multiply by 1.024 and then multiply that by 8, should be quite accurate

270 kbps = 2.16 mbps

Best answers
Hobomaster said:
to find out the ur internet speed, take ur average download speed, multiply by 1.024 and then multiply that by 8, should be quite accurate

270 kbps = 2.16 mbps
Wrong... I don't even want to know where you pulled that from. Don't even make me get into the binary numbering system and the theory behind all of it.

Needless to say, there are 1024 kilobits in a megabit. (Remembering that b = bit, B = byte). So if you have 270 kb per second, you divide that by 1024 to find out how many mb per second you have. Which is .26mbps.

Most ISPs have a network of around 5mbps (Mine does anyway). Theres *no* way you could haul out almost half of the available bandwidth from your ISP. It just dosn't happen. Your conversion dosn't make any sense.

I've done this kind of conversion countless times in my college classes. I dunno what your thinking, but its not right.

Best answers
don't ask me, that's wat i got told .... rofl

my bad if i told the wrong thing then......

but just a question: if an ISP has a network of around 5mbps like urs, how r ppl supposed to get 1.5 mbps speeds? cuz over here u get that so often

Best answers
Hobomaster said:
don't ask me, that's wat i got told .... rofl

my bad if i told the wrong thing then......

but just a question: if an ISP has a network of around 5mbps like urs, how r ppl supposed to get 1.5 mbps speeds? cuz over here u get that so often
You don't. lol. Unless your ISP is hauling some serious network bandwidth, your not getting that kind of speed. Maybe if your on an internal network or something, but to the outside world, chances are your not hauling that speed. Not all ISPs have a 5mbps network speed. Mine does, some where you live might be more, but I still don't see you getting a 1.5mbps speed. Just dosn't add up.

Whoever told you about the conversion was probably slightly confused, you divide by 1024 (not multiply by 1.024) to go from kb to mb, and if you divided by 8 you would be taking it from megabits into megabytes (8 bits in a byte).

Best answers
alrighty

no wait......... hmmmmmz............. thinking..........

so if u have a downloading speed of 30 kbps, that'd be around 256 kbps right

omg i'm confused lol >_< thanks for the explanation tho rofl

Best answers
Hobomaster said:
alrighty

no wait......... hmmmmmz............. thinking..........

so if u have a downloading speed of 30 kbps, that'd be around 256 kbps right

omg i'm confused lol >_< thanks for the explanation tho rofl
uhh, if you have a download speed of 30kbps, then its 30 kbps... I think you mistyped that. lol.

Just as an example though...:
30 kilobits per second = .029 megabits per second

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i think it may be driver related , when i let windows use i's default drivers for my 56k modem , it said it was runnig at 120bpbs , then when i installed offical manafacturer drivers , it reported it's proper speed

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom