Dragonball Z mods, and Half-Life

Discord Member
Best answers
let me preface by saying this is in no way meant to by an attack. I'm sure most people won't see it as one, but I'd just like to clear it up before hand. I'm just merely curious.

So I've been wondering. What makes the DBZ mods for Half-Life different than mods for other games? What I mean by that exactly is that many DBZ mods for other games eventually get labeled as a threat some how, and eventually get a Cease and Desist Order.

The only thing I've been assuming so far is that Half-Life's graphics engine isn't seen as a threat compared to the new crop of retail DBZ games. But on the other hand the quality of the models/skins/animations ESF has is easily on par, and sometimes better than some of the other DBZ mods/games out there. So in the end I have the same question in my mind.

Any ideas?

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DBZ? whats DBZ?
No this is the umm... "special" mod with all origional ideas and sounds.

Ok To tell the truth I really don't know. To the best of my ability, I would say that this mod is origionated in Australlia and cross country lawsuits really aren't something that people do.
At least, this is what the conclusion of each of these types of threads comes to. (Yes, yours ins't the first to ask this question)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd have thought FUNimation or Atari or whoever would welcome it, it keeps interest levels in DB/Z/GT up, they're starting to dwindle now, it's an old series.

I lump this in with fanart, fanfics, amv's and such, it's not making any profit, it's an expression of love for the series, I don't see how that's a bad thing :p

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
To my knowledge, the only mod that was closed down was bfp, and I'm pretty sure that was faked.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That has been my assesment as well Sub, the BFP team seemed to give up on BFP almost immediately after it's first true release (less than a year later, the mod was dead). The truth of the matter is that the ESF team has twice tried to contact Funimation about the legality of ESF. Neither message was returned. Bruce Falconer, however, did give our sound artist permission to use music clips from his arrangements with some stipulations.

Discord Member
Best answers
I know of a Quake 3 DBZ mod (other than BFP) that got a Cease and Desist Order. I can't remember the name, but I definitely remember following it.

As far as BFP "Faking it"; yeah I can see that as a possibility. At the same time maybe it's something against Quake 3 mods? I'm sure that isn't the full truth, but my knowledge of closed mods is only at two (both of them Quake 3 mods). I guess I should look around, and see if I can run into any more information.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I guess Funimation is so cheap that they don't even bother to buy Half-Life

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
don't forget , the cut out a lotta things from the dub aswell ,those dam losers should just not cut all the violent stuff ,ratins don't come to my mind these days , little kids will learn swearing some point down the track aswell anyway (reminds me of some late nite movie where two guys were talking about rooting some chick and some kid asks "whats a root ?"

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know what root means, but thats just because I know peeps from Australia. In Canada, Roots is a clothing company that makes (or used to) all the stuff for our olympic team and root also means to cheer for as in, "Im rooting for the Canadian Olympic team, but I know theyre too underfunded to win anything other than hockey and curling."

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It was Pioneer and Ocean Group who made all the cuts to DBZ, when FUNimation took over they released the uncut versions of everything after the Ginyu Saga, and now they're re-dubbing and re-releasing the uncut versions of Saiyan/Namek/Ginyu sagas that Pioneer/Ocean screwed up (which'll also restore the 15 episodes, bringing us up to the full 291).

Sources:

http://www.dbzsc.com/index.php?dbzsc=ep-japengtitles
http://www.dragonballz.com/index2.cfm?page=home_dbzu

As for those Q3 mods getting shut down, i'm sure it's possible that if a company feels threatened by them they can legally get it shut down, but if BFP was dead before that happened then it seems like a hoax, it would have been a waste of their time and effort to shut down a dead mod :S

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom