SOURCE ENGINE! COME1 COME ALL!!

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have read through so many source threads on the forums
that it has made me sick , people suggesting "put esf on
the new source engine" & plus also reading some suggesting "if the team won't do it , why don't members of the community put esf on the source engine as a third party project. as for good reasons why it
should not go on source engine are simple :

*some people have comps that won't run half-life 2

*hardware upgrades just to get hl2 to run smoothly can be expensive , or people may not want to upgrade there comp or can't afford to do so

*if it was a third party project in the end to put esf on the source engine went ahead , it would divide the community, one lot of people playying on source , one lot of players playying on hl engine simply because there comps can't run hl2 or run it very poorly

*as it is , esf is getting better in graphics with each new version that get's released , look at how much better the graphics are on 1.2 then what they were on 1.1 (dust trails from swooping was not put in 1.2 coz people were getting lag from the trails) some people do get lag on 1.2 aswell , being another point in that why esf should remain on the hl engine

*The team obviously don't make esf intirley for a living, they actually have something that is called a "L.I.F.E" (even thou it has been said before , I mase well say it again to get people to understand)

*not everyone would be able to play on the source engine well , as obviously ati get's better results on the source engine then nvida does (vis versa with doom3) another reason it should be kept on the hl1 engine , cards from both compainies show no difference over one another on the hl1 engine (i'm not sayying nvidia is complete crap for the source engine , it runs good , but ati is obviously gonna go better in all those scenes that have real intense action, plus nvidia have a few problems with the source engine , some stuff doesn't draw properly with nvidia cards , i'm sure thou that's only with aa or af set on, it's a definite thou that nvidia cards also apparently can't draw the hl2 water properly , it should be fixed in the future thou with better drivers & vga bios updates) it also obviously depends on you gfx settings , but in the end You have control over that

EDIT 20/3/05 :

*Source is rather glitchy , always having to be patched a lot , just think how much demand there would be for patches for esf if it was on source

*some cs pwners (like myself) prefer normal cs over cs : source , the new engine kinda takes away the "game play" away from the classic , cs source is to buggy and was just something made fast so people would by hl2 & so on , they could of atleast fixed a few "known bugs" before release , but ofcourse hl2 was delayed coz of the leak , & many people would be pissed off if they didn't release it for a million years (it just seems like yesterday that hl2 was finally released) & plus i can't rearly imagaine esf (if it ever did go to source) looking so nice first off , the team would have to play around with the new modeling/mapping/spriting kits for a bit to get something they like

i think most of those reasons speak for a lot of people who want esf to remain on hl1 enegine because for what ever reason's they have (people should really think what effect it would have on the community

plus , just out of interest and to put stop to people suggesting "go to source engine" we should have a hardware survey so everyone can see why this would be a bad idea if it did end up happening (which the team won't do , but maybe some person who decides to plan a third party project for esf to run on the source engine)

feel free to post your com specs of just use the poll in to what catergory your com falls into (don't forget to post critz & comments ^_^)

The Half-life Engine was built on the quake engine (delveloped by id software) with a lot of tweaks and upgrades done to it , esf has also improved upon that aswell , the gfx in 1.2 are a lot better then any other release in the past

For all of you who want a "source engine" dbz game , just wait to dba is done (don't say "aww but that will take forever" , it will be done when it's done)

"THE END OF ALL SOURCE ENGINE SUGGESTIONS" (Hopefully)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lol yeah, this basically coves why they won't go to the cource engine.

I wonder if it should be stickied...

I dont even know much about what my computer has, but its someti like 2.08 ghz 512 mb of ram on a GeForce MX 4000...is that good?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
it's okay i guess , but an example of why they won't go to the source engine , ack.. an mx4000 is just a remake of the gf4 mx440 , and an mx440 has no trouble out doing it or match it , you sir could do with a gfx upgrade sooner or later , like me (whole system actually , 3500+ , msi k8n diamond on nforce4 sli chipset , leadtek 6600gt extreme edition)

Best answers
I don't really mind what engine ESF is on, it seems to be doing great on the Half-Life 1 engine right now so it all depends on if it's absolutely necessary or not. By the way my system can handle Half-Life 2 on highest settings, so I'm not basing this all on performance issues.

Best answers
MY comp doesnt fit in sepcs :/ 2.5gigs wit 256mb ram

i have gforce mx 440, i love direct 7-ness, i can run half life 2 fine with occasional skipping frames every now and then

i dont see why esf SHOULD go to the source engine anyway, whats the point? its doing fine on hl1

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i'm not sayying to put it on source , i'm putting as to reasons why it shall remain on the hl1 engine (othewis know as tweaked quake engine) , u can obviously see what specs i have in my sig , i'm also hoping as long as this team contiues to make esf (after the team decides to move on , some1 will most likely make a source version anyway) , i'm suggesting this also for the sake of my guest comp (p3 933 , 256mb pc133 , asus 32mb geforce 2 gts) that pc acctually runs pretty well , and the gfx card in it , with benchmarking done by me on it , the card can actually match and sometimes out do an mx440 , it's just that it won't run source engine games , for now on if some1 suggest "go to source engine" , i will be on their case and link this thread to them

Best answers
who exactly are u trying to convince, also to be fair I think u should list the advantages of moving to a new engine, dont get me wrong I never suggested moving but I think to do a real "why not" topic u should be fair enough to list the advantages and disadvatages of something, after all moving to a new engine gets better graphics, more features, etc...
so with all do respect if u are planning to bash a suggestion at least do a comparison!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have a computer that does run the Source Enginge...allegedly.

I would prefer ESF stay on HL1. Why? Because unless it comes out as clean as CS: Source, ESF would be very glitchy and chokey on the other engine and I'd prefer it to stay playable and fun.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You're unbanned :eek:

2.2ghz, 1gb RAM, ATI Radeon 9800XT 256mb, Creative Audigy 2 ZS...etc...

We all know there's no chance of ESF: Source, but i'm glad you've done this to point out the...points. Maybe merge this with the existing sticky or something?

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Another point you forgot to add is that the team isn't exactly in love with DBZ. Even if we did have the extra time to port the game to source, we wouldn't want to dedicate the next 4 years of our life to another DBZ game -_-
And either way, I don't think ESF would really benifit from the source engine... Probably just have bigger levels and slightly better graphics with the same gameplay...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
lol, even though everybody knew the game had to eventually die (all things do), that kinda garunteed it...

But it is a good point, probably move on to new things, but would really impress me is if like 10 years from now they all got nostaglic after looking at esf screenshots, band the team together again and make their own game for Playstation 4 or some rediculous console..

And your avatarer ruined my idea of a signature :(

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not going to the Source engine because the team said it's not. Good enough reason for me.

But honestly, I agree mostly with what SaiyanPride mentioned about HL1 just seeming cleaner. Sure the HL2 physics are fun to mess around with, and of course you can't compare the graphics, but in the end, how much does that affect the gameplay? That's what makes a game, and that's what ESF has.

itr

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
SAIYAN_OVERLORD said:
with benchmarking done by me on it , the card can actually match and sometimes out do an mx440 , it's just that it won't run source engine games
Getting a card to match or out do an mx440 is silly, that card is hardly anything, it can barely operate a 3d game.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Who cares what engine ESF is on, really? It would take a wasteful amount of effort to port it over to Source and the team has stated, many times, that theyre not going to do it. This is really quite a non-issue.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
OK i cant vote cause i have a P3 550 MHz with 256 SD RAM and runing WIN XP

im getting 15 FPS in the servers if they have 3 people so i say stick with HL1

Best answers
LOL.. i love it.. my specs don't even match the bottom of the results of the poll.. lol

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
itr said:
Getting a card to match or out do an mx440 is silly, that card is hardly anything, it can barely operate a 3d game.

it can still run games that most people tend to play , like bf1942 & it's mods , esf runs pretty well on it , c&c generals & zero hour , doom3 (in a fast comp of course that goes beyond the min sys requirements , thou the textures on the model are all f**ked a little)

& many other games that i can't be bothered to mension

in future , don't use n00bish judgement to nock something you would hardly know anything about

and for most tech people like me , we know that asus do a good job with most of their gfx cards , sometimes reconstucting the gfx board (shown today in there a few of ther current cards , asus radeon 9550 gamer's edition show's 25% difference then the base model , and the fx5200 gamer's edition show's 50% difference over a generic brand 5200 , 50% improvement on a regular fx5200 is actually faster then a 5200ultra , the fx5200u if i recall , only made a 20% gain in performance over a regualr 5200)

greaga , i thought you would have a better pc then that , oh well , i remeber what it was like to run 1.1 on a p2 400 , 128mb pc100 & a 64mb geforce2 mx400 (it actually played 1.1 pretty well) the same story practically with my guest 933 and an athlon 800 with 512mb ddr333 generic & the asus card currently stuck in my guest computer

also on another note , why do people thin i'm suggesting to make it go to source , i'm obviously against , so are a few other people , so why give replys that you would normally say in a thread a n00b created sayying "go to the source engine" ?? , it's whats stops thread like this from getting stickied

Best answers
I am using
Raedon 9200 128mb
512ram
2.6ghz
p4 win xp

Although graphic card sux, I can still play HL2 games pretty well. "But the ESF said before they are not gonna port it to source engine or allow anyone to port it."
Ha, I will upgrade the graphic card to geforce when the next latest geforce card is out. Way too many games support geforce cards than ATI raedon except HL2 =/

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ATI over those dam nvidia morons any day (i'm just stuck with this dead end fx5200 coz something went horribly wrong with my gexcube radeon 9600xt xtreme , dam unstable factory overclocked cards , thnx ebay for finding a buyer , i wouldn't be suprised if they were ripping their heads of about , it started to lag in esf 1.1 , that's when i noticed something had f**ked the card up , maybe it was those new drivers for my nforce2 chipset my brother installed on my com as soon as he got them and just vnced in to my com , but meh , it still remians a mystery)

for my memory , at the moment there is a utility out for nvidia cards that stops/reduces the stutter problems it has on the source engine games (including that vampire game)

nvidia's current beta drivers seem to be fixing up the prob a bit ever since on the day they released hl2 , nvidia beta's were getting released nearly every week or so , on testing , with the 67.02 drivers , a 6800u incresed performance by 15% with the new beta drivers , i read that in some uk mag (pc zone or something) that was doing a big benchtest on hl2

draco , not all games rule in the favour of nvidia , take source engine games & the matrix online for example , if a gfx comapny supports the game , then most of the time they will get better results out of that game's gfx engine , i can understand though where u r comming from , the latest farcry patch (1.3) the engine has been changed to support ps 3.0 , origanlly thou , back in the days when the 9800xt was the speed king , ati use to own nvidia in farcry , but now people want more "eye candy" to look at

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom