New Computer?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A friend of mine bought a computer a year and a half ago and is now looking to sell it. He is asking $700-800 for it, and I am not sure if it is worth it. He has ripped me off in the past.

AlienWare
Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz
GeForce 5700 Ultra 128mb
Asus Mobo (p800? Says he isn't sure - costs ~$160 according to him)
Samsung RDRam 1Gig (main reason I am interested)
WD 80 gig HD, 8mb cache
Liteon 52x burner + DVD player
Mobo replaced (says warrent was to expire, so he broke on purpose mobo+chip to get a free new one)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You could probably build a better computer from scratch. I built mine for about 500, not including CD-RW drive and moniter and the 6800 as a present, but they're cheap now. So for about 100 less than what your friend is asking for, you can get a computer about the same as mine.

Mobo replaced (says warrent was to expire, so he broke on purpose mobo+chip to get a free new one)
Wow, what a ****head.

Best answers
I was going to sell my machine with a 5700U in it and a 2400 for around 350. 5700U's aren't for gamers... your gonna want at least a 6800. That price is a complete rip off. The only thing that could possibly make it worth that much is the little Alienware sticker on it.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Optional said:
A friend of mine bought a computer a year and a half ago and is now looking to sell it. He is asking $700-800 for it, and I am not sure if it is worth it. He has ripped me off in the past.

AlienWare
Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz
GeForce 5700 Ultra 128mb
Asus Mobo (p800? Says he isn't sure - costs ~$160 according to him)
Samsung RDRam 1Gig (main reason I am interested)
WD 80 gig HD, 8mb cache
Liteon 52x burner + DVD player
My brother always warns me about used stuff.

He is like, if it aint for half the price what its really worth, dont buy it and build your own pc.

BTW, your friend is ripping your off IMO.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If youre friend bought Alienware in the first place... well, lets not go there. Youre paying for the brandname, really, and all that flashy stuff. Everyone says you should build your own computer, its cheaper and you get what you want, but nobody ever elaborates as to how youre supposed to go about doing this. Do you just go to bestbuy and ask about building your own computer or something?

And $800 seems a bit steep for that system, even though it can kick the **** out mine.

Best answers
Yeah man, i think that your getting a little ripped off. The only good thing that the computer has is that ram and RDRAM isn't all that great in my opinion, i just dont like it. Extreme Overclocking Gaming DDR2 is better. but anyway, you can build yourself a decent computer for less than that or you can even buy a brand name computer for less than that and if the specs of a new brand name computer match the specs on the computer you want to buy, it can still cost less (sometimes). I bought a new eMachines computer in October 2004 for $359.99 and it had a

2.5ghz celeron processor
60 gig 7200 rpm hard drive
253mb ram (yeah it's clocked wierd)
CD/DVD Burner
300w PSU
64 mb shared onboard Video (thats the crappy part of it all)
17f3 eMachines CRT Monitor (worth $189.99, for free)
Stereo Speakers
a V.92 56k Data fax modem
and the motherboard has integrated LAN, Serial ports 6 USB ports and all of that other good crap that i never use.

I bought it at TigerDirect.com and yeah it could be better, but it's a good computer for its price. And im upgrading it with all new hardware and a new Viper case. So as you can see, you can get a good computer with specs almost as close as your friends computer for a good price. I'd buy a brand new computer or build your own. I bought a new one and im now in the process of upgrading it now. Not the best idea though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom