My new PC

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Although it says my new PC I haven't actually got it yet, I just wanted to list the components and get a few ideas from experienced members.

*NOTE* All Prices are in Australian Dollars (AUD)

CPU: Pentium IV 650, 3.4ghz $600
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA8AENXP-D $389
RAM: 512mb x2 Corsair $260
HDD: 160mb x2 Seagate $300
DVD Writer: 16x LG DVD Burner $125
DVD Player*: DVD ROM $40
GFX**: ASUS AN6600 GT $439
Monitor: 17" BENQ FD7IE (LCD) $400
Mouse/Keyboard: Logitech Mouse/Keyboard set $40

Total: $2593

* Just gonna get a cheap generic brand
** Opted for the Geforce over the Radeon

I was also considering investing in surround sound for an extra $100 or so. However its already pretty damned expensive. Atm I only got a grand to play with so I'm gonna have to work a bit harder and get paid a bit more. I also decided to use the motherboards integrated sound.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Is this custom made, or is this how it came? Also whats the conversion rate from AUD to british Pound? Im sure you can get even a 6800nu for the price youre geting that 6600GT for. Ive seen brand new 6600GTs for prices between £80-£130 O_O

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ness, the total is around £1060, and the GFX Card is £180.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Custom made and I looked up a currency converter and it seems 1 Australian dollar buys 0.408 Pounds (I don't have the funny little pound sign :()

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:
Ness, the total is around £1060, and the GFX Card is £180.
So that's about 2k US dollars for ... that? You could get an SLI system for that D:.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The prices are from a website I found, and my mate who got the list from me told me that'd be the most I'd pay for it. More than likely we could get it down a fair bit, $2000 would be the least but it'd probably get down to about $2200.

I've also been tossing up between the AMD, my friend has been telling me that the latest benchmarks are showing that AMD is more powerful. The equivalent chip in AMD would be only half the price ($300) and if went to the next level it'd still only be 4-500.
Anybody confirm/deny this?

Here is a revised list:
Either an AMD Athlon 64 3800 $565
or AMD Athlon 64 3500 $416
GA-K8NS Ultra 939 $198
2x 512mb DDR RAM PC-400
2x 160gb Seagate HDD $280
LG DVD Re-Writer $95
DVD-ROM Liteon $40
Midi Tower Case $75
N66T128VP 600GT $345
17" LG LCD L17505 $368
Netgear Wireless PC Card $50

With the 3800 it comes to $2176
The 3500: $2027

Also what hard drive brand would you guys reccomend? Seagate, Western Digital or Maxtor

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They're all good, but i'd go with Western Digital. Also, what brand of RAM are you using?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Rocky87 said:
The prices are from a website I found, and my mate who got the list from me told me that'd be the most I'd pay for it. More than likely we could get it down a fair bit, $2000 would be the least but it'd probably get down to about $2200.

I've also been tossing up between the AMD, my friend has been telling me that the latest benchmarks are showing that AMD is more powerful. The equivalent chip in AMD would be only half the price ($300) and if went to the next level it'd still only be 4-500.
Anybody confirm/deny this?

Here is a revised list:
Either an AMD Athlon 64 3800 $565
or AMD Athlon 64 3500 $416
GA-K8NS Ultra 939 $198
2x 512mb DDR RAM PC-400
2x 160gb Seagate HDD $280
LG DVD Re-Writer $95
DVD-ROM Liteon $40
Midi Tower Case $75
N66T128VP 600GT $345
17" LG LCD L17505 $368
Netgear Wireless PC Card $50

With the 3800 it comes to $2176
The 3500: $2027

Also what hard drive brand would you guys reccomend? Seagate, Western Digital or Maxtor
If you'd like to overclock, then get a 90nm Process 3200. Pretty much 3200-3800 all overclock the same as they're the same core, but make sure you get Winchester as they're cooler, and I mean less-heat. This is because they're based on the 90nm Process, as is the 3200 I mentioned before. You'd be saving yourself a few hundred bucks.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i can get the 6600gt for a better price then that , differ beand thou (leadtek's 6600gt extreme or gainward's 6600gt) the p4 chip also , and gigabyte suck , go with an a64 setup instead , if u want to stick to intel stuff , get one of the asus boards (quality never comes better) except maybe in the case of the abit fatality board or one of msi's boards

edit: if u go to the "right place" u can get a 3500+ for 369 bux

the 6600gt's are sex , theres no doubt about it

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Or get a 3200+ Winchester for Socket 939, as it's based on basically the same exact core. The 3500+ Winchester is only at a higher clock, but can't go much further than the 3200+ can. If you want, wait for the Venice class chips coming from AMD, they're awesome overclockers from what I can see. The 3200+ Venice at a review site got up to 2.8GHz with stock voltage and cooling, that's amazing.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i'm betting that amd will use the venice core for dual-core chips when the'r out , and here i was about to go buy a 3200+ on the winchester core

is it most likely we may need a bios update so 939 boards reconise these chips properly (simlar to what happened with sempron socket a chips)

Meanwhile come to think of it , ati and nvidia are working on their next gpu's , the nv50 and r500 , both adding more pixel pipelines and so on , thou i have heard some where that nv50 may be scrapped and nvidia may bring out a new chip (the g series)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SAIYAN_OVERLORD said:
i'm betting that amd will use the venice core for dual-core chips when the'r out , and here i was about to go buy a 3200+ on the winchester core

is it most likely we may need a bios update so 939 boards reconise these chips properly (simlar to what happened with sempron socket a chips)

Meanwhile come to think of it , ati and nvidia are working on their next gpu's , the nv50 and r500 , both adding more pixel pipelines and so on , thou i have heard some where that nv50 may be scrapped and nvidia may bring out a new chip (the g series)
Hm? What? Someone who has atleast a psuedo-sense of technology but can't spell? God is tricky with his miracles D=.
I believe the nv50 will just be nv45 with 24 pixel pipelines compared to the traditional 16. The R520 will also most likely have 24 super pixel pipelines with the performance of a 32 PP card of today. I've read about it from a few different sources. Hm, guess we'll have to wait and see.

itr

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Smith| said:
Hm? What? Someone who has atleast a psuedo-sense of technology but can't spell? God is tricky with his miracles D=.
I believe the nv50 will just be nv45 with 24 pixel pipelines compared to the traditional 16. The R520 will also most likely have 24 super pixel pipelines with the performance of a 32 PP card of today. I've read about it from a few different sources. Hm, guess we'll have to wait and see.
Yeah I saw some errors myself, but didn't want to say anything because I would be attacked, ontopic, I hope the R520 is a 1024mb card, I'd so save money for that and buy it, and be done with video cards for a long time...I could probably get away selling my 1 year old X800 pro for like $300...sucks :(

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
smith , don't judge a person by one action , OMFG!!! there's more to one person then you may see or judge for urself

*munches away at cheese burger*

the x800pro still has some life in it , thou if you one is a gecube one , i feel very sorry for you since half of them get screwed up in a week or so then just lay around on ebay for fools to buy

just unlock the pipes , just search for a guide on the net somewhere , it will br just under an xt model , but still , it has prently of life left in it if you have a fast system

btw , don't start the spelling rage again , this isn't a primary school spelling bee

i have more then your so called "psuedo-sense" of tech

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SAIYAN_OVERLORD said:
smith , don't judge a person by one action , OMFG!!! there's more to one person then you may see or judge for urself

*munches away at cheese burger*

the x800pro still has some life in it , thou if you one is a gecube one , i feel very sorry for you since half of them get screwed up in a week or so then just lay around on ebay for fools to buy

just unlock the pipes , just search for a guide on the net somewhere , it will br just under an xt model , but still , it has prently of life left in it if you have a fast system

btw , don't start the spelling rage again , this isn't a primary school spelling bee

i have more then your so called "psuedo-sense" of tech
It wasn't ment to be a flame. It was comparing you to the rest of the forum crowd. Also, to correct you: Not all x800pro's can be unlocked. The majority of the X800Pro Non-Vivos have damaged pixel pipelines, the Vivos are just flashed XTs.

And don't blame Gecube for a few mistakes on some people, I'm sure they ship out thousands of cards which are perfectly fine. The one company I wouldn't trust would be PNY due to the fact that over a hundred people, in a forum I visit, were complaining about parts of their card falling off while taking it home. Cheap manufacturing.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not all that eager to overclock, I intend this PC to last me a good number of years and anything that may shorten its lifespan doesn't really suit me. My mate who's helping me put it together said he'd overclock it for me but didn't recommend it.

Anyways I'm a bit short on money for this PC so looks like i'll have to postpone buying it, when I'm ready they won't be selling this so i'll have to look into a new machine.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
when i bought a gecube 9600xt extreme , it was good for about 2weeks then started f***ing up on me , so i returned it

a lot of gecube cards end up on ebay

i mite get a 6600gt in a while , when i can find a venice core i mite , along with a new psu (all those 2rd party ones get pwned to easily buy power consumption)

why not "downgrade" to a 486 ????? lol

itr

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Smith| said:
It wasn't ment to be a flame. It was comparing you to the rest of the forum crowd. Also, to correct you: Not all x800pro's can be unlocked. The majority of the X800Pro Non-Vivos have damaged pixel pipelines, the Vivos are just flashed XTs.

And don't blame Gecube for a few mistakes on some people, I'm sure they ship out thousands of cards which are perfectly fine. The one company I wouldn't trust would be PNY due to the fact that over a hundred people, in a forum I visit, were complaining about parts of their card falling off while taking it home. Cheap manufacturing.
Yeah I never really checked to see if I could mod my X800 pro to XT, because I really didn't want to kill the card and it performed great then, but now I might need it looking towards the future. But I doubt I could make it an XT PE seeing as its an ATi retail.

Oh PNY is horrible, back in 2k I got a geforce 2 mx400 from them, it came to me broken, then I put my cuz's PNY in his pc, it barely worked well, I dunno even why it didn't work like all the others. PNY needs to get its act together when making pc parts, or else they will probably go out of business making gfx cards.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the only gfx card manafacturers i would trust now are gainward , asus , leadtek , sapphire & sparkle , & possibly msi

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom