The PSP

Best answers
I'm interested in your opinions on this.

I don't really follow handhelds, and don't really want one, but from the looks of things, I think I'd rather have the PSP.

I never liked the idea of the DS. Two screens? What the hell for? Ooohhh, a TOUCH screen.... What the hell for? Wow... touchy... Is t3h ubah!!!! ... I just don't get it. It has sub-par graphics, a miniscule game library, and I really would not want to speak to anyone who I know has one (that was a crack at the particular people that buy the DS). I'm beginning to lose faith in Nintendo.

On the otherhand, there's the PSP. FANTASTIC graphics for a handheld, has the ability to play movies and music, and I'm seeing more PSP junk by the boatload coming out. They even revived Twisted Metal, for Christ's sake! That's like taking ice cream and making a sandwhich out of it!!

I think the PSP even does more than make competition for the DS, I think it makes some competition for the iPod with the music and movie capabilities. I think I'd get one for that purpose alone.

Any thoughts?

Note: The reason I put this in Tech Bench instead of the gaming forum is because I want this to be more of a discussion on the technological capabilites, rather than the games

Best answers
I just got a PSP myself and the graphics are PS2 graphics. Its awsome for a handheld. In addition it came with Spiderman 2 which if you compare how it looks on your TV and on the PSP, the PSP dominates easily with how nice it looks. It comes with a 32mb memory card but you can get up to a 1gig memory card. On this card i have already stored some pics, music, and some dragon ball z music videos which I can watch on my PSP!! If thats not enough, most games that come out on the PSP will have new content available for download and all you do is plug a usb cord from your PSP to the comp. The only flaw is that the battery only lasts about 4 hours. Other than that, i'm lovin it!!!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
PSP, unless youre stupid. Nintendo should have had better intel when they started designing the DS, because now they are about to get owned by Sony. The PSP has its flaws (some dead pixels, problems with the square button) but those will be fixed as time goes on and as technology improves. I would go so far as to say that Sony is a half generation ahead of Nintendo on this one.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
frsrblch said:
PSP, unless youre stupid. Nintendo should have had better intel when they started designing the DS, because now they are about to get owned by Sony. The PSP has its flaws (some dead pixels, problems with the square button) but those will be fixed as time goes on and as technology improves. I would go so far as to say that Sony is a half generation ahead of Nintendo on this one.
Didn't SONY say they'd fix the crappy lasers they use for PS2s years ago?

Last I hear, they're STILL crap.

I'm a little stuck on what to think. I have a DS, and I like it so far. Yes, it has graphics only slightly better than an N64, but graphics have never been very important to me. The touch screen does add a lot to the fun, as does the wireless multiplayer function. My only gripe with it is that the launch games are a little boring. But I'm sure Nintendo will come up with some great stuff, they always do.

I might get a PSP, but I'm not sure. It's just a mobile PS2. It's not anything new. It'll have the same kind of stuff the PS2 has, and we all know PS2 had some really buggy games (San Andreas, anyone?) because SONY tends to force its developers into releasing games earlier to make a quick buck, something Nintendo doesn't do, or does on very rare occaisions. I have honestly yet to play a Nintendo game that was as bugged as any PS2 game I have. And I have quite a few. Long story short, I think PSP will be great for people who want more of the same, and the DS is for people who want to try something new. Neither is better than the other, it's just up to personal preference.

Also, I already have an iPod, and I don't want to have to buy extra DVD discs just for my PSP, so the DVD and MP3 player functions are useless to me. Of course, this is just personal and doesn't reflect the gaming population at all.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Technologically speaking, the PSP is miles ahead of the DS when it comes to the inner workings. Like you said, music and movie capabiliies are gonna be a big promoting factor to a lot of people. I mean yes the PSP may be pricey compared to the Nintendo DS. But you're getting a handheld gaming device, mp3 player, and portable movie player all in 1. Now tell me it's still pricey. There were a whole bunch of threads a while back where people (based on speculation and rumour alone) bashed the PSP for it's 2 hour battery life. While Sony states that battery life is anywhere from 4-6 hours based on various circumstances such as brightness, volume, whether or not headphones were in use, if LAN use came into play etc... And hands on battery tests have shown about 3-6 hour battery life, again, depending on the settings in which the device was used, and also the complexity of the game also factors in.

For the future, Sony as well as Third party developers have interest in developing possible addons such as an FM-Tuner, and even a TV-Tuner further expanding the list of capabilities for the PSP. Also, for game importers, Sony decided not to include region coding in their games. So, if lets say some Naturo game comes out for PSP in Japan and you can't wait to get your hands on it. Import it, and you'll be able to play it fine without modifying your PSP.

And if over 99 gaming developers signed up for PSP production doesn't wet your tastebuds, I don't know what would.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Didn't SONY say they'd fix the crappy lasers they use for PS2s years ago?

Last I hear, they're STILL crap.
They fixed it when they released the 'Satin Silver' PS2 model, and since then there's been the slimline model too.

The PSP looks and sounds ownage but the price tag will be my downfall...is it even out over here? :S

Best answers
Shiyojin, that's exactly the issue. From one situation and perspective, the PSP looks like a really bad idea to get (such as yours), but from another, it seems like a GREAT idea, like from what Prime and myself mentioned.

The thing is that the PSP is loaded with functions, but has certain features which could totally turn people off. The price tag, for one. For someone who doesn't need music or videos on the go (a socially active teenager, for instance), there's not a big reason to get it over something else.... Other than the fact that it's got more games. And truth be told, in spite of what Shiyojin mentioned, the PSP is actually getting a lot more original games out for it. Mercury to name one. Whereas Nintendo is repackaging Madden and the like. I know Sony is currently doing the same thing a little (THUG), but they're covering their butts after the fact, while Nintendo is doing it cuz they're out of original ideas.

Yeah, the battery dies out. But that's what they do... they friggin die! It's the circle of life, for cryin out loud!!! Electronics are produced, they need to be powered without a plug, batteries are created, they're used up, they die, they get thrown away, new ones are bought... I can see a sunday's sermon coming out of there.... But anywho, the point is that they can only last so long... Hypothetically, if I had a PSP, I could go 2 or 3 days with it before having to recharge... And me, I'd be cool with that! I only need a bit of music on the go, and the occasional 10-40 minute game.

But that is another scenario, which may or may not be applicable to others, as before.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I wouldn't say it's a "really bad idea" to get a PSP in my case.

I mean, I have a PS2. I have quite a few games for my PS2, and I really enjoy some of them, like Budokai 3, or Mercenaries. I even like San Andreas, though it has sub-par graphics and is quite buggy. Kingdom Hearts, Armored Core.. games that really shine on the PS2. I like the PS2, but whenever I want a game that is available on both the PS2 and the Gamecube, I'll more than likely pick the NGC version, because it'll usually have either less bugs, or better graphics, but usually both. I know because of personal experience.

I think the PSP will be pretty good. But like I said before, it's not really anything we haven't seen before. I'm not going to buy a PSP the second it comes out here (I live in Europe). Instead, I'm going to watch and see what kinda games come out for it, and if they're any good on the PSP. My brother's a real PS2/XBox fanboy, he's going to get a PSP for sure, which gives me a good oppertunity to try it before I buy it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I might have one if it wasn't so proprietary. Anything you use on it has to be pretty much a specific thing. Can't use SD memory cards, have to use the pricier kind. Forgot what those were called. Can't use any movie format, have to use sony's proprietary kind, etc, etc.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Smith| said:
I might have one if it wasn't so proprietary. Anything you use on it has to be pretty much a specific thing. Can't use SD memory cards, have to use the pricier kind. Forgot what those were called. Can't use any movie format, have to use sony's proprietary kind, etc, etc.
Indeed. This is one of the things I also really dislike about it.

At least the DS has backwards compatibility with the GBA.

GBA games look incredibly sharp and clear on the DS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom