Need help with my computer

Best answers
Can anyone help me out? I bought a new mobo and a new video card and I didn't check to see if my processor and my ram would work. The Mobo only supports 533 and 800mhz processors and only PC2700 and PC3200 ram modules. I thought I had PC2700 but i didn't double check and I only have PC2100 ram and My celeron is only 400mhz, however, i called Newegg and eMachines and 2 of the reps said that a 400mhz processor should work in this type of a mobo but they weren't sure if the ram would. I installed the new mobo and the new video card into my computer but when I power it up the computer, nothing shows up on the monitor and I dont even think windows is booting at all. so can anyone help me figure out if my processor is the problem or if my ram is the problem, please help me quick, I need to buy parts but dont know what to buy.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
are you using a 400mhz celeron chip in a ddr board , wtf , you need to be a little more clear as that is mixing with my mind

clearly from my point of view of your wordy explaination you need to go buy a p4 chip (in this case i think your board is a socket 478 board am i correct ?)

Best answers
Sorry, I kind of worded my question wrong. But I did figure out what happened, my ram is too slow, I had the wrong kind. And I do have socket 478. However, I have a new question, will a processor with a 400mhz front side bus work on a mobo with a 533 or 800mhz only front side bus supported.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
oh fsb , i should of realized that early , my fault

the trick to do here is if it can atleast boot till your floppy drive is to get a bios update , put it on a floppy and install , maybe that will fix it , ot your cpu is dodgie

but in all esence it should work , my brother before he got a 2.6ghz p4 533 chip was using a celeron 1.8ghz chip in his asus deluxe board (can't remember witch one , but it was using 875chipset i think , don't remember much about it thou as i am mainly only a gfx/amd hardware related junkie) if that doesn';t work , call the place you got it from and see if you can't get a warranty claim on it , but sometimes if they find the damage was caused by the user during the installation (or almost all the time) they will not hear your claim for warranty simply because they say the product is intended to be professionaly installed and such on the box

hope this helps you

Best answers
So my 400mhz (front side bus) celeron should work in my mobo that only supports 533 or 800mhz front side buses despite the fact that the fsb isn't high enough or what?

itr

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
crashmann64 said:
So my 400mhz (front side bus) celeron should work in my mobo that only supports 533 or 800mhz front side buses despite the fact that the fsb isn't high enough or what?
No it shouldn't, if it only supports 533 and 800mhz.

Best answers
ah, crap. Now I have to buy that new Pentium 4 that I wanted. I dont have $225 to blow right now. So it won't even boot or what? And not to challenge your knowledge on computers but I called eMachines tech support (i bought an emachines computer and i'm just using the parts out of that to power my new rig) and Newegg (i bought the mobo from them) asking about 7 reps and they said that my processor should still work in it. Is this confusing you as much as it's confusing me or what?

itr

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Theoretically, if the lowest it goes is 533mhz, it shouldn't, but try it, it MIGHT, but I am doubting it will.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
itr said:
Theoretically, if the lowest it goes is 533mhz, it shouldn't, but try it, it MIGHT, but I am doubting it will.
your forgetting that it will differ with what his chipset he has , he still may have a chance actually

tell us what type of mainboard you are using and what chipset you have

Best answers
all that I know is that it is an albatron mobo with the Intel 915 chipset. and I took it up to a computer shop and Im dumb and dont know much about PCIe mobos and PCIe itself. I was using a 20 pin power connector and the "power outlet thingy" (sorry dont know what it's called, bad terminology) that you plug it into has to have a 24 pin power connector. so the pci slots weren't getting power because the last four pins were left vacant because the plug is too small, even though it is backwards compatible.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
sounds to me like you are using a celeron d. and in theroy that should work , it's a 533mhz bus chip after all. after all it's just a p4core with the cahe and a few other features of the core cut out

Best answers
Close Randy, I have the original Celeron but it's not that old, so it isn't outdated. Sorry im a little confused, are you talking about the chipset or the processor with the 533mhz fsb? Because I have the 400mhz celeron.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom