Video Card Recommendation

Best answers
Im not really big on money for the most expensive and best video cards. And well, tommorow, im going out to buy a decent video card. My parents kinda gave me nothing more then anything over that of $60 right now, and im hoping to find a really decent one to use for my video capture device and also too help improve my framerate on some pc games. Can anyone here recommend a good video card to use for the two reasons i just listed?!? i came across one that i think might be decent here's the link to it.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/ATI-.../sem/rpsm/oid/73860/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Also, could someone tell me if there easy too install or not?

Best answers
It would be a little bit more helpful to know your current video card, if you know it.. It'd make judging whether or not the video card is worth the money alot easier.

With that said, the 9200 is a pretty good card... Don't expect it to blow you away but it's probably a big improvement over your previous video card if you haven't upgraded since 2000.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
you could always get a job. if anything you should try saving up for a little bit and get a 6600gt or a 6600 (ethier will do , but 6600 will give you pretty good performance of your on a really tight budget , 6600gt if you can be bothered to save up teh money) or if your'e really low and need something decent get a 6200 & if you dare do a pipe unlock/overclok to 6600 (you can find the guide on how to do that at http://digital-daily.com)

Best answers
I don't think he needs that much power, I mean the card itself is a good deal. But It's really way out of his price range, and is kinda overkill for what he is looking for imho.
Btw down with nvidia >=^D

*edit* If you are looking for a really good deal tho, and are willing to save up just a little bit more. You can get a 9600 PRO (or XT was it?) on either, i believe, newegg or tigerdirect for around 75 bucks (not including shipping and handling). It's great bang for your buck, but I haven't checked on shipping and handling, which they can get ya on... Sometimes going as high as $35 or so , depending on your location.

Best answers
Well i dont know what kinda video card i have exactly, if there's someway to check let me know and ill try and see. Either way, in general i just really want one to fix my choppy playback on my video capturing device and i pretty much just need a decent video card to fix the frame skip issues and smooth it out, dont really care as much for the pc game problems i can work those out later to better my experince.

you could always get a job.
Where i live summer jobs are nearly impossible to find this summer so thats out of the questions. I guess i could save up more for a better one, but who knows how long that will take.

Best answers
Right click your desktop -> Properties -> Settings = There should be a Toolbar that says "Displays" ... That is your video card. :)

With that said, if you're not a real hardcore gamer... and are just looking to play HL based games comfortably, as well as smoothing out your videos etc... The 9200 is a good, inexpensive choice, as well is the mx440 128mb. I'd look into that card to see if you can't find it cheaper than the 9200.

Best answers
Well i did exactly what you said and i didnt see the display tab at all.

That is acourse unless Graphic Controller = Video Card?? o_O

:] Anyway, yea your probally right. I"ll probally just go with this one for now i guess instead of saving up for the expensive one even though it's tempting, thankz for the advice. And one more thing, Are they easy to install?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yes , they are very easy to install. just make sure you remove the old gfx drivers first. if you are a n00b to pc tech work then just remeber a few things

-ground yourself , touch the back of you powerpack's fan grill for about 5 - 7 seconds or use a static band
-make sure you have followed the instuctions correctly
-make sure everything that needs to be connected is connected
-make sure the card has been put in properly

Best answers
Oh ok thankz for letting me know randy. Also U-freeza, my video card that i have now is a, Intel [R] 82810E Graphics Controller Video Card. Is the upgraded card im trying too buy over the top from my current video card? i mean would u say its needed??!! or should i try a diffrent one or something?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A 9200 will be a noticable improvement due to the fact that it won't use only your system memory, which is a lot slower than video ram, for its memory. Well... anything at the moment would be better than that integrated junk. But first, make sure you can upgrade to an AGP platform. I know of some systems who just include integrated and no AGP slot. If this is the case, you'll probably have to go for a low PCI card, which will still be pretty bad :/.

Here's an image of an AGP slot I grabbed from google:

Best answers
Woah, i didn't even think about that Smith.. Good point, altho most every motherboard now adays has an AGP slot, there are a few that only have intergraded functionability. But, hopefully that wont be a problem.

*edit* omg smith your sig, that is horrible... how do you live with yourself!!!

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ultima2_freeze said:
*edit* omg smith your sig, that is horrible... how do you live with yourself!!!
he's sigs change with a scrtipts or something. just call them smithtoons :p

try going for a 9600pro if you can extend the budget a little more , pay a little more and you will get back so much more

Best answers
;( Well, there goes my luck. :cry: I just checked and it turns out i don't have one of those slots. Well, atleast i didn't go out and waste $50.
Wait, does AGP slots really come in diffrent froms like this or is there only 1? And i actually have those white slots in those images if thats what u guys were refering too?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I really hate to do this, but either save up money and get an AGP/PCI-E motherboard or get a PCI video card. It'll probably be less costly to get a PCI video card, but you're going to be pretty limited.

I did a quick search on newegg and came up with this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814139166

It's gotten all 5 star reviews so far but is a little over your budget. If you'd like to upgrade your computer, I'm guessing you'll probably have to get another cpu to go with the motherboard along with some newer ram. Hmm.. you're in a rough bind, sorry.

EDIT: THe white slots are PCI slots, not AGP.

Best answers
Oh ok well ill probally just do that. Based on the reviews they say that the card is actually pretty good so that might be a better choice. But one more thing, could u awsner my other question about the AGP slots coming in those 3 forms in the images, if so i actually do have one, it just didnt resemble the one in the image u posted?!

Best answers
Well, its not brown, it looks black and it's long, something just like the AGP pro slot in that image i posted.

Best answers
It looks exactly like one of those 3 black ones, but it has like 2 white things on the side of it like in the first image u posted withe the brown one. There's two of them but one already seems to have a chip/card in it. Either way, that's what it looks like though overall. But just to make everything clear. This is the exact computer and everything that came with it that i bought back in 2001-02. It list Features/Specifications in this link as well. So i guess u could read that and tell me if i got it from what the list.

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=t1115

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yea, that's called an ISA slot and it's even worse than the PCI. PCI:ISA::AGP:pCI

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom