Rift is F2P from today

1.21 Gigawatts!
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
[video=youtube;-POtNDt3bpM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-POtNDt3bpM[/video]

Rift today finally went F2P, I did play the game in trial version before but I am giving it a nice little test agean. The quests seem interesting specially with these rifts poping out which makes boss and monsters spawn, it's basicly like open world boss where anyone can join in. Other than that it's pretty much like your generic mmorpg where you click on skills, there is no active dodging, blocking or aiming, just stand and spam skills. Graphic are ok but nothing that make chew your own seat (Tera has better graphic).

more on: http://www.riftgame.com/en/store/free-to-play/

I am no more
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Is it worth it ? Or is it "just another MMORPG" and nothing much interesting or unique ?

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
Best answers
Is it worth it ? Or is it "just another MMORPG" and nothing much interesting or unique ?
I played this one because a friend insisted I play with him. He's not too good of a person to play MMORPG's with however, because he'll try and rush me through everything and quest and level as fast as humanly possible with no room to breathe and no opportunity to become intimate with the world...

So, now that you know my bias, when I played it with him I just got the sense that it was 'Just another MMORPG.' but I only made it to about level 10. I could be wrong, maybe it just didn't attract me.

But I must say the multiple skill trees and the ability to combine them in many ways was a cool thing.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
In it's essence it is just another MMORPUGER. It feels ridiculously similar to WoW, and you have everything there that makes it a traditional MMO. The holy trinity, automatic attack, with automatic targeting, no hitting multiple targets with a big weapon unless it's some sort of ability and lot's of keys for spells, also the questing is pretty much the same as wow, grinding busy work.

What it has unique to it are, as far as I know the following things. Beautiful graphics, nice and really detailed character creation process, Very interesting classes that you can build, basically you can combine up to three classes and you can create such things like a teleporting archer. Somebody correct me if I am wrong on this but I think you can even do cross class shiz like combining warriors with mages or such stuff; don't remember if it's true or not, but I do know the class system can be very, very varied and you can change to all sorts of roles. There is also the rift system which if I'm not mistaken works in the following way: One hour you might be questing in an area, everything is nice and dandy and all of a sudden a rift opens up and out of nowhere all sorts of abominations pop up and set everything on fire and chaos, and all the quests in that area will have to get dropped, because the number one priority for every player in that area becomes to close that rift. It's interesting also because when you quit the game in an area that was once peaceful and when you log back in again it's as if all hell broke loose while you were away.

Those are stuff that I find quite appealing, but you will have to get past the fact that it's a traditional MMORPUGER at it's finest. As for what they did with the F2P, well you'll have to see that for yourself, it's free now after all :p

Legerdemain Cheese Spread
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
The only MMO that I really got into was Guild Wars 2. Plus anything that goes F2P usually means bad news.

1.21 Gigawatts!
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well for For example Tera made 500,000+ registered users after going F2P, how many of those people spend their money in the cash shop or decided to actually buy the game? For the company this good news, becuase they will get more money. Now the question is what about people is this good for them when a MMORPG goes F2P? If the servers are good and can handle that many new people there won't be a problem with lag. More people also means more alive community, since there is tons of people there is always someone to help you with quests or someone to interact with. Ofcorse that also means more people that can shit things up and make a bad community. But the fact is that gaming companies make games to make money and for them this is a good news.

Legerdemain Cheese Spread
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I'm not saying that all f2p games are horrible I'm just saying most that do go through that stage don't have a very smooth transition. If it was popular during P2P then it will most likely do well as F2P but that's unlikely as the main reason things switch over is because it didn't do so well as P2P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom