[Old PotW] In the meantime last updated 5/13/15

Super Cool Wicked Guy
🌠 Staff
Best answers
No we don't give beta because to many ppl complain about not getting a free game (ESF is not rly a mod anymore, it's even more than a TC )
I still need artists who know what PBR is and can make proper pbr-textures :D unless you know what that is and how to work with/for it...don't complain about the time it takes to finish maps and models

3D Animator and Rigger!!!
✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
No we don't give beta because to many ppl complain about not getting a free game (ESF is not rly a mod anymore, it's even more than a TC )
I still need artists who know what PBR is and can make proper pbr-textures :D unless you know what that is and how to work with/for it...don't complain about the time it takes to finish maps and models
As you already know Ryo, most ppl here don't understand game development or do it themselves, so they assume it's easy stuff and I'm not talking about Altering existing stuff to look "new" like some ESF mods. Just stay focused and keep driving on bro!

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yep. I find it pretty funny to imagine how long it would take the people who complain about this stuff to create content as good as the stuff as you guys make. It would certainly take them an incredibly long time compared to you.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
What? I seem to missed the headlines where you guys moved to PBR, that's pretty awesome. :D
Can one of you guys tell us what techniques you're now using in the new ESF? I for one am interested which features you introduced to the engine.

Super Cool Wicked Guy
🌠 Staff
Best answers
PBR in a limited way, means it's energy conserving, follows metallness or specular workflow, is gamma correct(also new). You just can't make an manga based game fully PBR, so only the map uses that kind of shader. THe Gold material for example uses that shader. Only thing i did there was lookup the specular color of gold, pasted it in and set metallness to 1.0, rest is done by the renderer.
Another thing you saw for ages now is, ESF is rendered in HDR and uses the Uncharted2 Tonemap-operator

Best answers
Why you don't create gameplay videos? I believe, that lots of fans want to see what game looks like. Even if you didn't create new visual things, create short gameplay video anyway. In my opninion, lots of people want to see the game :)

Super Cool Wicked Guy
🌠 Staff
Best answers
Well most stuff atm is visible stuff, just not stuff wich you can see without any comparison. Like the pbr stuff (physicaly based rendering), it was not added because it looks better, it was added to make stuff simpler and have a nice predictable shading. You don't see it immediatly, you will just notice that lighting behaves more realistic and fits better as a whole.
Same reason why i switched ESF to be a deferred renderer(most games today use that), it's a nice way to light every pixel in the same way. So no hacks for different materials.

Buut i'm giving the weather system the fine tuning(forgot the map override fog) and searching for fitting sounds. I know it takes long but that system can simulate everything , from a clear sunny summerday to some apocalyptic namek end weather. Blizzards included :D It's just not something 1 person can do in a few days

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
We are gathered here today, not for the works of one man, but the promise of a dream! The dream that we will one day taste the ultimate victory in the greatest DBZ experience crafted. Ryokeen has the power of TWO fighters. Which is equal to six men!

And i see PBR texturing is quite the process O,,o x4 texture conversions maybe more. That's rough, but it sure does come out crisp and clean, and the gamma doesn't need correcting! It's very rare that a game by DEFAULT SETTINGS has lighting quality as good as I've seen in these pics

Last edited:
Earth's Guardian
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
all of these big words and functions and stuff.All i can do is sit down and pretend like i know what the hell you guys are talking about. Someone please use baby words for like my benefit.

Oh while I'm here i need to ask will hair and clothes blow with the wind/when you are swooping just wanted to know

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
With the wind I doubt it. When you swoop/power up/ transform, I know parts of the hair move, but know nothing about clothes flapping.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well Ryo has put in jiggle boob physics. Technically those can be put on stuff like clothes and hair to ^^;

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well Ryo has put in jiggle boob physics. Technically those can be put on stuff like clothes and hair to ^^;
Really? Are you telling me 18's boobs jiggle when she powers up? Sigh, I thought you guys were above that...

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I am when they are there for the sake of it. Normally if anything's cheap I'll go for it, but this is the only cheap thing I'll never go for.

Oh well it's not too big a deal since 18 is my favourite anyway and I'll not really get the chance to see jiggles mid fight or flight.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌹 Regular Rosé
Best answers
Well they have good physics in the game so they might as well be faithfull to them ( ຈ ل͜ ຈ )

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually its called jigglebones. And it means that clothes and hair no longer need to be fully animated. Depending on the constraints the individual polygons have room for maneuver based on the movement of the character. So if you come to a full stop with Goku his pants will have a slight motion to them before comming to a complete halt. Making it feel less plastic and more organic.

This can be applied to hair aswell as Buus big belly and ofcourse 18s boobs.

Super Cool Wicked Guy
🌠 Staff
Best answers
Sad thing about jiggleBoobs...erm bones is, they work only for single bones. Means Boobs, antennas, some hair, some parts of the clothes are fine. But for example piccolos cape would near real cloth physics. Doing that is not that hard, what prevents us in adding it is..setting the shit up. We can't rly use any fancy tools for that because we still have to work with the HL model format(well extended and modified, but still). In short..we have no fast and not mind****ing way of determining wich vertices belong to his cape and how they are connected to their neightbour vertices to form a simulateable mesh for the physics.

And well then there is also collision and our fast movement. Many cloth sims and physic sims break down at high velocitys.

But jiggleboobs are easy to add and allready in. Their effect is just to subtile to show it.

Oh and gamma correction is in for about uhm 3/4 year now^^
And for all who don't know PBR is physically based rendering. It means that stuff as lighting is energy conserving, light bouncing of a surface can't be brighter than the light wich hit the surface. Also it uses equations wich are physically plausible/realistic.
It makes it easier to predict how different materials, as reflective surface, metals , non-metals, behave under different lighting conditions, like day/night

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
⚡Sūpā Regula-jin
Best answers
How many persons are doing the game?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom