Charge Jump

Best answers
Simple concept, the longer the hold it the higher you will go. and you can go from jump to flying in a certain direction really quick. You'll be able to vary the height and once you get used to it i'm sure it'll become key to your fighting technique.

Best answers
Well if you have 5 second max hold it won't slow it down much. Tap does regular jump, if you hold it you can launch from wherever you landed. It would just make the game more dynamic. Say you want to launch up to someone who didn't see you. You can now at tremendous speed and just wreck them.

Discord Member
Best answers
Well if you have 5 second max hold it won't slow it down much. Tap does regular jump, if you hold it you can launch from wherever you landed. It would just make the game more dynamic. Say you want to launch up to someone who didn't see you. You can now at tremendous speed and just wreck them.
Yes it would slow down game playing. ESF is an extremely fast paced game and standing still for five seconds to charge a pointless jump would feel like an eternity. Which leads onto my second point; your idea of a charged jump is pointless. Why would you want to jump towards someone at a tremendous speed when you could fly towards someone at a tremendous speed? The best way to catch someone by surprise would be to teleport right up into their face, not by jumping at them.

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
You guys do realize thats been in since like forever >.>

Tap the button and do a small jump, hold the button and you go higher. The height depends on how long you have the jump button pressed.

Dont believe me? Go try it in 1.2

Discord Member
Best answers
You guys do realize thats been in since like forever >.>

Tap the button and do a small jump, hold the button and you go higher. The height depends on how long you have the jump button pressed.

Dont believe me? Go try it in 1.2
I don't think that is what he meant. Pretty sure he is talking about a mechanic from a game like Prototype where the charging of the jump happens on the ground and you wouldn't actually jump at all until you released it.

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't think that is what he meant. Pretty sure he is talking about a mechanic from a game like Prototype where the charging of the jump happens on the ground and you wouldn't actually jump at all until you released it.
Yea i kinda got that. But the result is the same, with the added bonus that our way doesnt have a charge time. Its instant with the same effect.

Press button = jump start
Let go of button = jump stop and gravity + momentum take over

Ofcourse there is a maximum jump height but its essentially the same thing.

The only Russian ESF fan
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Best answers
The current jump mechanic is perfect.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
The control mechanic itself is fine, the physics/animatic always seemed cheap though.

Best answers
I just feel like there is little focus on land battling. The game is geared towards mid-air fights for sure and I think it would be pretty neat to create a few more mechanics to give more of an incentive to not fly 100% of the time.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
You are saying you want the jumping like in PROTOTYPE 1? No please, for as much as I love that game, that will not translate well into esf given how much movement is required, while jumping, it would only get in the way having to hold the key and adjust for trajectory. Jumping system is fine. Though some mid air flips would be nice! I see vegeta has his backflip back from the OLD days. BRAVO!

Discord Member
Best answers
I just feel like there is little focus on land battling. The game is geared towards mid-air fights for sure and I think it would be pretty neat to create a few more mechanics to give more of an incentive to not fly 100% of the time.
It was Dragonball that had land battles and not Dragonball Z. Even though the fights on the DBZ started on the ground, the actual fighting took place in the air. If you want a ground based fighter game then go play Street Fighter or something. ESF is and always will be; a flying based fighting game.

Best answers
It was Dragonball that had land battles and not Dragonball Z. Even though the fights on the DBZ started on the ground, the actual fighting took place in the air. If you want a ground based fighter game then go play Street Fighter or something because ESF is, and always will be, a flying based fighting game.
Yeah, but I see now problem with the possibility of ground battle, it would make the game feel more open!

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Yeah, but I see now problem with the possibility of ground battle, it would make the game feel more open!
The thing you both seem to not be realizing is that the game already has great potential for ground battles. I've had dozens of fights where flying wasn't permitted. Jumping, turbo, teleporting and wall jumping allowed. It is how you use what you got to make it happen, that makes ESF such a free form fighting game.

You can make an effective style utilizing the many assets already available in 1.2 It may not feel as smooth as flying combat, but it requires a fair bit of skill for two players to actually get the hang of not flying.

@Grega: I actually just remembered of a feature I found lacking in the game. If a person has no ki, and gets hit and goes flying, will they still eventually recover mid air like in 1.2? Or, will gravity actually take hold and drag them down from their trajectory this time? I never liked how recharging ki caused you to instantly stop moving and start flying when there are recovery options, and fly can be toggled with the press of a button. How will this work?

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Same as in 1.2

We also changed the KI cost of flying to 0. So when in the air you are no longer loosing KI just to stay airborn. You dont gain it either though.

Discord Member
Best answers
The thing you both seem to not be realizing is that the game already has great potential for ground battles. I've had dozens of fights where flying wasn't permitted. Jumping, turbo, teleporting and wall jumping allowed. It is how you use what you got to make it happen, that makes ESF such a free form fighting game.

You can make an effective style utilizing the many assets already available in 1.2 It may not feel as smooth as flying combat, but it requires a fair bit of skill for two players to actually get the hang of not flying.

@Grega: I actually just remembered of a feature I found lacking in the game. If a person has no ki, and gets hit and goes flying, will they still eventually recover mid air like in 1.2? Or, will gravity actually take hold and drag them down from their trajectory this time? I never liked how recharging ki caused you to instantly stop moving and start flying when there are recovery options, and fly can be toggled with the press of a button. How will this work?
I don't understand because; if you melee someone on the ground, they will be launched up into the air. You would then have to wait for them to come back down before you could continue, it's an extremely awkward way to play the game. More to point, in Dragonball Z; the fighter that hit his opponent into the air would immediately fly up to them while they were stunned to get some free hits in. The only way to avoid knocking them up is if you short hopped and then hit them but that would be so gimmicky to play and would look rather ridiculous. The only other solution is if you only used advanced melee combat but, who the hell in their right mind would want to do that?

It would be nice, for people like you, if there was an option included in final that disabled flying completely. Consequently, when you are hit up into the air you would immediately start to fall instead of having to press the flight button. I think the mode would also benefit if you added directional input capabilities with standard melee hits. Examples being; a stationary hit simply punches them, not moving them at all. Pressing forward with a melee hit, will launch the opponent forwards. Pressing backwards / jump, will knock the person up into the air where you can then jump up to punch them back down ect.

Last edited:
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Well critical_error if you looked at some of the combat video you would see that in final when you hit someone with basic melee they go flying back, and not up anymore. Blocking still results in you getting pushed back a bit, but you come to a quicker stop. I don't know that if you are on the ground then straight back is the new default position, or if you have to hit with combo melee to actually choose a direction.

However in 1.2. it isn't too hard to follow up uppercutting someone with anther hit, if you KNOW you are going to uppercut them. In the past year chaining up to 4 basic melee hits has become a habit, but the past 10 decades it was nigh impossible for me.

Seems to me that the little intricacies in Final are going to keep us from having so much down time as 1.2.3 had, what with trying to catch up to players where who chain hit, lengthy throw charges, having to deal with getting hit with advanced melee and watching for 10-15 seconds and of course invincible recovery times. (One of the worst exploits in 1.2.3) Smoke will allow you to strategize and break the line of sight, so thinking players will be rewarded for taking that into consideration. Player manipulation is back stronger than ever, and combat is shaping up to be more furious than any installment to realize the series.

Discord Member
Best answers
Well critical_error if you looked at some of the combat video you would see that in final when you hit someone with basic melee they go flying back, and not up anymore. Blocking still results in you getting pushed back a bit, but you come to a quicker stop. I don't know that if you are on the ground then straight back is the new default position, or if you have to hit with combo melee to actually choose a direction.

However in 1.2. it isn't too hard to follow up uppercutting someone with anther hit, if you KNOW you are going to uppercut them. In the past year chaining up to 4 basic melee hits has become a habit, but the past 10 decades it was nigh impossible for me.

Seems to me that the little intricacies in Final are going to keep us from having so much down time as 1.2.3 had, what with trying to catch up to players where who chain hit, lengthy throw charges, having to deal with getting hit with advanced melee and watching for 10-15 seconds and of course invincible recovery times. (One of the worst exploits in 1.2.3) Smoke will allow you to strategize and break the line of sight, so thinking players will be rewarded for taking that into consideration. Player manipulation is back stronger than ever, and combat is shaping up to be more furious than any installment to realize the series.
Thanks for all that info ~ Combat in final sounds like it's going to be amazing.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
🌹 Regular Rosé
Best answers
Blocking still results in you getting pushed back a bit, but you come to a quicker stop.
That got me thinking of something.
In 1.2.3 , if you blocked simple melee you could always get a hit on the enemy right after , but in this version you get thrown back a little so i thought that maybe you wont get the free hit right after you block ? i might be wrong tho

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually block countering still works ^^

While there is a push back its ignorable distance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom