Just a friendly question, Not impatient or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Super Saiyan Yamcha
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
As of now, many people have been waiting for this modification for quite the number of years, I joined in 2010 and have been a regular on and off. But I am not getting to the point.

My question is, and don't think of me as the annoying people who post 'WHENS IT COMING OUT I JOINED LIKE 6 MONTHS AGO AND IM SICK F WAITING'
No please don't, I have been extremely patient.

But what is exactly stopping them from releasing an early build like Minecraft? Patch as you go or something. Heck, throw a $5 surcharge on it if it bends around the laws of copyright.

All I am saying is there are many fans even hardcore fans of the mod that have moved on because they think the mod has died or either just faded.
Jeez, i will personally give $500 dollars to the one who calls the shot and releases it soon. Hahaha. But seriously?:smile:

Capt'n Red Beard
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
But what is exactly stopping them from releasing an early build like Minecraft? Patch as you go or something. Heck, throw a $5 surcharge on it if it bends around the laws of copyright.

All I am saying is there are many fans even hardcore fans of the mod that have moved on because they think the mod has died or either just faded.
I agree, and you guys would make a little cash by doing it too ;)

Legacy
★ Black Lounger ★
Discord Member
Best answers
Copyrights of single DB sequal costs around few hundred million US dollars. So you can do the rest of the math. And none wants a problem with the law or end up in the court. And to answer to the same-o-same question: it's developers decision on the release/presentation method. End of the case.

Last edited:
Super Saiyan Yamcha
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
it's developers decision on the release/presentation method. End of the case.
Yes I get that as I have said that countless times to other people but don't you think it's going a bit far? I mean wow from all the videos I have seen and images it looks more than enough ready for an alpha build. They did it with the other releases why not now?

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
For obvious reasons you understand why the cannot take donations or charge a cent for this game (Copyright Issues). Now I could be wrong but if I remember correctly they didn't want to do any sort of Alpha and Beta release as in the past fans instead of helping with testing and reporting issues, they slammed the mod for being incomplete and horrible. Some did the proper thing but others wanted a full game and complained when the got the incomplete Beta.

I believe they don't want that this time around so we wont see this until it is finished. You also have to remember where this mod does look nice and complete, but that is from the view the developers want us to see, there is a lot behind the scenes that is unfinished and needs a lot of work.

Super Saiyan Yamcha
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Trust me I know, But they wouldn't get slammed if they put like a message before the game starts "Please note that the following game play you will experience is not that of a final product, This is an incomplete mod so Complaints on the forums will be taken down immediately'

Like why not seriously, I remember the post about releasing it in 2 parts then why not? Let's do it. It's been way too long people are losing interest.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
You have only been waiting since 2010?! You say you are patient?
Pfft, get to the back of the line, there are still many people even in front of me.

I am no more
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Pfft, get to the back of the line, there are still many people even in front of me.
This.

Super Saiyan Yamcha
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Judging by what appears to be an EXTREMELY low post count for somebody who has been a member for over 10 YEARS tells me that you arent a very active member, I never said hurry up or anything I am just saying if there's an oppurtunity to release an alpha build then take it, the people have waited a long time. I still hold my statement, i am very patient. But it also comes down to common sense, why tease everyone on youtube, facebook and mod database with all these promotional videos and images and no sign of release date or demo/alpha?? Go and look at every comment on the videos, majority of people ask "whens it coming out?" And usually followed by an annoyed member/moderator saying "uh, when they want to release it stop asking"
The first thing that comes to mind when seeing a video like the 2011 xmas trailer is 'wow when can i play that' so they go google the name and find out they need to fork out 10 dollars or so for half life just to play it, and they did. We all did.
To me its teasing a hungry dog with meat.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
In a way you could say the videos and pictures are teasers, but this is what some of the fan base wanted, for pics and videos to be shown. I am sure that the Devs would rather just work on the mod then release vids and pictures, but then you get members wanting them to show the work they have done in pics and videos.

But once they do that they get criticized that they are wasting their time on these items when they should be working on the mod. It is a lose/lose situation in a way. The same can be said about an Alpha release or Beta if you will, you will have fans that love it and won't complain then you will get others regadless of any message that pops up before they play that will complain that what they have isn't enough and they should hurry up with the rest of the content.

I know waiting can be painful and that there seems to be no end in sight, but such is the way with mods like these and it is really hard for the developers to keep the fan base happy. I know this as I am a developer myself on another mod (Have not been in the Dev game as long as these guys though), but I have been around long enough to know what fan are like.

I respect your free speech and this has been one of the better threads about a release I have seen, but I think it would be better to continue to wait rather than a 2 phase release.

Super Saiyan Yamcha
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
In a way you could say the videos and pictures are teasers, but this is what some of the fan base wanted, for pics and videos to be shown. I am sure that the Devs would rather just work on the mod then release vids and pictures, but then you get members wanting them to show the work they have done in pics and videos.

But once they do that they get criticized that they are wasting their time on these items when they should be working on the mod. It is a lose/lose situation in a way. The same can be said about an Alpha release or Beta if you will, you will have fans that love it and won't complain then you will get others regadless of any message that pops up before they play that will complain that what they have isn't enough and they should hurry up with the rest of the content.

I know waiting can be painful and that there seems to be no end in sight, but such is the way with mods like these and it is really hard for the developers to keep the fan base happy. I know this as I am a developer myself on another mod (Have not been in the Dev game as long as these guys though), but I have been around long enough to know what fan are like.

I respect your free speech and this has been one of the better threads about a release I have seen, but I think it would be better to continue to wait rather than a 2 phase release.
Well said, like I said i have a big respect for the community and I have been here at the coolest times and given away games on steam in contests, but all I am doing is getting a message across, but you are right. It is up to the devs in the end. I am currently studying my diploma for digital and interactive video games maybe i could learn some things and help them out somehow haha.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Judging by what appears to be an EXTREMELY low post count for somebody who has been a member for over 10 YEARS tells me that you arent a very active member, I never said hurry up or anything I am just saying if there's an oppurtunity to release an alpha build then take it, the people have waited a long time. I still hold my statement, i am very patient. But it also comes down to common sense, why tease everyone on youtube, facebook and mod database with all these promotional videos and images and no sign of release date or demo/alpha?? Go and look at every comment on the videos, majority of people ask "whens it coming out?" And usually followed by an annoyed member/moderator saying "uh, when they want to release it stop asking"
The first thing that comes to mind when seeing a video like the 2011 xmas trailer is 'wow when can i play that' so they go google the name and find out they need to fork out 10 dollars or so for half life just to play it, and they did. We all did.
Your argument can be used for any game. Why do companies and teams in general tease people with screenshots and videos when they could release an alpha version, instead of releasing a polished version?

On the flip side, why should the development team feel the need to fulfill the wants/needs of the handful of impatient fans by releasing an alpha version of their product? I have yet to hear a good argument on why the team should do a very early release, other than to keep a group of people happy. But in the end, who really cares about the vocal unhappy fans like that? When the team releases their alpha version, these same people will play the game for an hour, complain about bugs, and then not touch the game and go back to bugging the team about when they will be releasing the next update with fixes. It will just be an endless cycle until the final update gets released if ESF were to go down that path. So tell me, what is a good reason to have an early release like this?

One big thing that I don't see mentioned often is that if this game were to have an early release, the magic of the new release will be gone. You will get a (likely) buggy release with a bunch of incomplete features and characters, and then each update will feature a bug fix, new features, and new characters. You will already have played the bulk of the game (despite likely being buggy), and while the new content will be exciting, there wouldn't be as much hype and excitement for the game as there would be if everything were to be released in a polished form at once.

Last edited:
The Magic Booper
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Your argument can be used for any game. Why do companies and teams in general tease people with screenshots and videos when they could release an alpha version, instead of releasing a polished version?
Im gonna side with you Damaera but I can see both sides to the argument. Although you are right, companies and teams do tease people with little tastes of the game, but they usually don't until they have a somewhat of a stable release date (this is referring to the "companies" part with big budget games in most cases). Also, I am aware that even triple A titles can be delayed as well, but when you have a team that is relatively small (considering) it might be good to release a demo. Not just so we can get an early taste of the game but for wide-scale bug testing. I believe they even did that with TitanFall (don't quote me on that :p ). People who help could just post any unknown or non-addressed bugs could be helpful. Basically the point im trying to get to is maybe they could do the whole "register or enter this pole and get a chance to participate in testing" sort of thing they did with Elder Scrolls Online. I am fine either way honestly, but this is just my two cents ^_^

PS: This was meant to be for a somewhat "stable" version of the game.

Last edited:
Super Saiyan Yamcha
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I have yet to hear a good argument on why the team should do a very early release, other than to keep a group of people happy.
So it's in it's very early stages I see thanks for the update haha.

Damaera I am not one of those people who complain and complain, This is just a thought.
Not a "OMG WENS DA RELEESE DAYTE" No
It was an idea to shut the impatient ones up. But I do believe there would be a shit tonne of bug complaints.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know you're not the one who complains about this stuff, I'm just looking for a good argument for why the team should do an early release other than to make these people happy.

Im gonna side with you Damaera but I can see both sides to the argument. Although you are right, companies and teams do tease people with little tastes of the game, but they usually don't until they have a somewhat of a stable release date (this is referring to the "companies" part with big budget games in most cases). Also, I am aware that even triple A titles can be delayed as well, but when you have a team that is relatively small (considering) it might be good to release a demo. Not just so we can get an early taste of the game but for wide-scale bug testing. I believe they even did that with TitanFall (don't quote me on that :p ). People who help could just post any unknown or non-addressed bugs could be helpful. Basically the point im trying to get to is maybe they could do the whole "register or enter this pole and get a chance to participate in testing" sort of thing they did with Elder Scrolls Online. I am fine either way honestly, but this is just my two cents ^_^

PS: This was meant to be for a somewhat "stable" version of the game.
Bug testing would be a good idea, but this can easily be done in a closed testing session by hiring a group of people to do the testing. I don't believe that having a public release to rely on people to submit a bunch of bug reports would be as reliable as it sounds. There will definitely be a handful of people who will be filling in reports, but I think it would be more successful to hire a group of testers who you know would fill in the reports.

Last edited:
The Magic Booper
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Bug testing would be a good idea, but this can easily be done in a closed testing session by hiring a group of people to do the testing. I don't believe that having a public release to rely on people to submit a bunch of bug reports would be as reliable as it sounds. There will definitely be a handful of people who will be filling in reports, but I think it would be more successful to hire a group of testers who you know would fill in the reports.
Ah, didn't think about the ones who wouldn't comply to the rules. Touché.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
But it also comes down to common sense, why tease everyone on youtube, facebook and mod database with all these promotional videos and images and no sign of release date or demo/alpha??
K I'll stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom