Contribution Entry. (Map)

Best answers
Hello, my name is Baldwin. I started learning how to map in 2009, ever since I loved it then. I first started at the zeq2lite community, where I was trained to become where I am today.

I would love to contribute to this project! I spoke with a dev here, he told me paste my test here for the other devs and everyone in the community to see. Maybe I'm not getting the ESF style right, this is what I'm here for, to learn an grow as a developer! :) All help is appreciated!

I would like to know what you guys think so far?

I just did a series of islands, nothing large. Was thinking of adding a city later on..

The map is currently 14.7k. I'll show you both renders and wireframe.

Also, I doubt this is how it would look ingame, I'm not familiar with the mapping tools, adding weather effects, sun, shadows, waters etccc...

Thanks for everyone's input in advance.

Had a hard time uploading these, internet is freaking out alot lately.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Seems fine for what you're trying to do (a bunch of small isles), but I'd rather you show us something of a more complex geometry.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Water is set from within the XML configuration. All you really need is a box with the correct material name for it. Shadows are dynamic so you dont need to worry about those at all, the sun is also set up in the XMLs.

As for the map. Its a bit plain but looks like it might be fun if you add more height variations to it. Like a bigger island with a moutain and so on.
The BG is kinda empty to, so you might want to add something like a far away coastline. The player area is sealed off by an inverted box with a sppeciffic texture inside, so if you can imagine that you can get away with flat planes and alpha textures to simulate far away terrain.

Best answers
Seems fine for what you're trying to do (a bunch of small isles), but I'd rather you show us something of a more complex geometry.
Yeah pretty plain, I'll add a city later on today.

Water is set from within the XML configuration. All you really need is a box with the correct material name for it. Shadows are dynamic so you dont need to worry about those at all, the sun is also set up in the XMLs.

As for the map. Its a bit plain but looks like it might be fun if you add more height variations to it. Like a bigger island with a moutain and so on.
The BG is kinda empty to, so you might want to add something like a far away coastline. The player area is sealed off by an inverted box with a sppeciffic texture inside, so if you can imagine that you can get away with flat planes and alpha textures to simulate far away terrain.
Thanks, Grega. What I'll do is take a look at the mapping tutorial again and try to compile it ingame. Great that everything seems automatic. That's a huge relief, I've been doing shadows manually with uvmaps etc.. An great advice on the coastline. Will def spruce things up in the next update

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The islands that you made are way too close to eachother, as well as way too small. Make bigger islands (a lot bigger) and expand the distance between them, it looks really weird with having a bunch of islands being really close to one another. The smallest islands look really weird and unrealistic (because of how small they are), so avoid creating those again. Another thing that you should work on is the poly count and overall quality of everything. I believe the limit is around 200k polies. The amount of polies that you currently have for these islands should be for islands used in the far distance of the map, and not the main section. There is a ton of more room for detail, and all of your islands in the main part of the map should have a lot more polies being used on them.

Last edited:
Best answers
The islands that you made are way too close to eachother, as well as way too small. Make bigger islands (a lot bigger) and expand the distance between them, it looks really weird with having a bunch of islands being really close to one another. The smallest islands look really weird and unrealistic (because of how small they are), so avoid creating those again. Another thing that you should work on is the poly count and overall quality of everything. I believe the limit is around 200k polies. The amount of polies that you currently have for these islands should be for islands used in the far distance of the map, and not the main section. There is a ton of more room for detail, and all of your islands in the main part of the map should have a lot more polies being used on them.
200k? wow thats amazing! I thought it was 100k. Thanks for the input!

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was going more for something like this

You have that flat area round the mountain and then the island just spikes up in to the sky. But yea it already looks more varied, its just that the mountains as you have them seem somewhat out of place.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Looks like a solid Picciolo vs Android 17 map to me...

Will his map work with ESF final though? I mean he needs to use certain formats and shit to make it work with HL engine, no?

I am no more
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers

Will his map work with ESF final though? I mean he needs to use certain formats and shit to make it work with HL engine, no?
.FBX 2012 is the format.

Best answers
I was going more for something like this

http://comps.canstockphoto.com/can-stock-photo_csp11168114.jpg

You have that flat area round the mountain and then the island just spikes up in to the sky. But yea it already looks more varied, its just that the mountains as you have them seem somewhat out of place.
Thanks alot Grega. Yeah I agree the mountain does seam like its out of place. Thats a nice reference, I think it looks out of place because theres no flat surface haha, just the mountain by itself. I was planning on having these in the far distance, but I'll have a few in the main map and out. (3ds skybox void)

I have the FBX tool on my 3ds max. I'm pretty sure it can me exported to ingame.

Best answers
Did the modeling and texturing under ten hours. This is the tallest building on my island in the Bahamas :)

Just thought I'd show this one to you guys. *HLEV Especially, he wanted to see more complex geometry.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Very nice work. Blend buildings and islands/mountains together, this'll be a very fun map indeed!

Force Pit Member
Best answers
You should make a City map, which is either like our world's New York or like some communist russian city(that building you made looks like 70s communist russian building)

I would definitely love a map with a 1970s communist russia city map.

Best answers
Lol!! Nice ideas, but this is just to show more of what I can do. Lets stay focus on more pressing matters :p :p

Best answers
Update: Thanks to TakeDown For guiding and teaching me throughout the process.

Thought I'd leave it as a hilly map.

Best answers
I just thought about something when I saw you map..

Wouldn't it be fun to have mountains with a lot of tunnels through them so you can make shortcuts. With a few empty places in the middle of the mountains to battle..
That way you don't know when the enemy is comming for a surprise attack or vice versa.
Every esf map that I have seen are maps where you can see everyone from a great distance so maybe this could make the gameplay a little bit different...

Just a suggestion to you or anyone else who's interested.. ^^

Old School
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think its coming along nicely. I like the jagged rocks coming out of the ground and the texture they have. But something with the plateaus with the grass on top, doesnt look as natural as the rest of it. The plateau sides are a little too straight in my opinion. I know it would create tons more work to change it, but if they were modeled more like the rocks coming out of the ground, it would look great. Perhaps a texture change would help blend them in a bit more.

This is what I mean. In my opinion the plateau sides are a little bland & straight looking compared to the rest of it. As I said, maybe if the texture were different it would help them blend better with the environment:

At any rate, good stuff man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom