*Map* ESF_Buu

Why did u just read this?
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
mhm if i could....i would try to make the map....but i can't.Maybe I'll look after 3D modelling and all that stuff in the sommer holidays or so, but i can't promise you that I'll do sorry :/.

Best answers
Really hope you guys are just away and didn't abandon the map... then again something with such detail would need time. Still, keep at it and DON'T LET IT DIE! >:C

Legacy
★ Black Lounger ★
Discord Member
Best answers
Bachelor thesis - defended, now I can focus on buu map now. More updates sooneh ;P

Best answers
Bachelor thesis - defended, now I can focus on buu map now. More updates sooneh ;P
Hello there!I would just like to say nice work on the overall look and feel of the level design.It has an overall organic feel to it so far and the addition of the rivers of "Buu-Juice" is much appreciate.It adds a since of diversity to things.I hope to see a lake of stomach acid sometime soon,filled with the remnants of cake,cookies and so on.I'll actually be supplying a few objects to help accompany some of the modelers soon which will hopefully speed up progress and ease tension. I've a few question to ask you,that is if you don't mind answering.

-Did you choose Quad Topo for your level to fortify the mesh,thereby allowing the normals to work properly or is there another answer?
-Do you retopo your objects strictly in Zbrush?
-What'ya use for texturing?I know there's plenty out there like Mari,Photoshop,PolyPainting,etc,but I guess I'm just studying people atm.
-What's your end goal for poly count?
-Are you going to bake your AO into the maps,rely on SSAO(I don't know if it's implemented in the current engine) or just not have it at all?

I had to hold back on the questions for the moment,lol.Anyways,here's wishing you good luck on the level.I shall be watching your progress.

P.S,have you tried the Xoliul 2.0 shaders yet?They're free and give some pretty accurate illustrations within Max's viewports.

Last edited:
Legacy
★ Black Lounger ★
Discord Member
Best answers
-Did you choose Quad Topo for your level to fortify the mesh,thereby allowing the normals to work properly or is there another answer?
Of course, quad. Quad is basically what tillable texture, which I've used, is based on. I have applied a uv map for each quad, which allows me to use even a single texture for entire mesh; quad is definitely the only solution here. Right now, there are some triangles in the mesh [the leftovers after retopology], which I'm fixing from time to time. It's definitely time consuming, but the work leads to the great results which means a zero [or minimum] texture distortion when no triangles are left. To make this short, triangle is my worst enemy as it means a complete texture distortion and ruins the looks.

Do you retopo your objects strictly in Zbrush?
For this map, yes, I've used ZBrush. But I'm familiar and with 3DSMax retopo tools, however, I just wanted to remember/study more about ZBrush newiest retopo tools, so ZBrush was the tool for this case. I'm very keen on trying other retopo tools such as 'retopo-gun' as I've heard it being very nice and user friendly.

What'ya use for texturing?I know there's plenty out there like Mari,Photoshop,PolyPainting,etc,but I guess I'm just studying people atm.
I've tried 'Polypainting' back in the days of 2008 or 2009, however, I didn't like it much. I'm one those fanatics, who believe, that using third party programs are not very sufficient, when most of the workflow can be maintained by using the standard tools, which can give you the same results. Unless we are speaking of procedural approaches, for which I've used "Filter Forge" in order to generate tillable textures [in this case - Buu's mesh textures]. I use photoshop for some areas, yes [you should consider that photoshop has polypainting now, which can be accessed by importing a mesh as *.obj format] I still don't understand why people keep asking/are talking about polypainting. I believe, that such third party software as 'Polypainting' is not worthy the money in the current market, where most of the software now includes polypainting features also. I'm not sure how far they got now, because I haven't checked it for years, so I'm not telling you not to use it, but you can replace Polypainting these days even with a simple 3D editor [e.g. even 3DSMax now has a polypainting feature], ZBrush has an advanced polypainting features. So I hope that answers to your question.

What's your end goal for poly count?
Don't know. Maybe 60 000?

Are you going to bake your AO into the maps,rely on SSAO(I don't know if it's implemented in the current engine) or just not have it at all?
AO - no, since the mesh uses a single 128x128 [or was it 256x256] diffuse/normal textures, which is tillable, so AO wouldn't be so sufficient, since it's more global pre-rendered map (then tillable), but I believe that the results I am looking forward can be achieved with diffuse,normals, bump and SSS[which they sadly don't have if I am correct].
SSAO is quite different story -- for one, I don't think it's needed, but I'd be glad seeing haze shader in-action instead of SSAO, as it is exactly what I want.

P.S,have you tried the Xoliul 2.0 shaders yet?They're free and give some pretty accurate illustrations within Max's viewports.
I haven't tried it. I might have an eye on it, but I believe it will be another third party software which will give free, but messed up shaders with inappropriate rendering methods. I'd rather get 'marmoset' engine for rendering purposes as I've seen many artists using with showing some eye-candy results.

Last edited:
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🥉Legacy Semifinalist
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
let's go to do this and revive this with a chocolate bar
Romunas u will keep working on this? or ur last map was the last one? please tell me to know what to do in my next step
if not well... i will end that brain

Attachments

Last edited:
Best answers
Looks good Revan, I thought lfs aka Ramunas was going to be finishing up the Buu map. I actually went through this thread and downloaded all the pictures he posted before he disappeared. Gigirs was putting out decent work too, but he's now working on a One Piece mod. Anways dude gj.

One suggestion - you should make a bite mark into it and show caramel within squares lol

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🥉Legacy Semifinalist
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
i thought the same
but i saw a chocolate bar complete inside buu
actually i saw almost everything complete
anyway i guess everyone should say something about that
in pieces or just 1 complete
cake in pieces or 1 piece?
candy
cookie in pieces or 1 piece? or both?
and well if u want more ask

Why did u just read this?
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
mhm in my opinion i would choose: cake in one, cookies in pieces.

Ps: Well done with that chocolate!! ;)

Legacy
★ Black Lounger ★
Discord Member
Best answers
Good people, sorry for my dissapearance. For the last three months I had done nothing because I have moved to live in Norway and now I have a tablet and no pc. These last few months were very intense as I had no money, had to find a way to pay for rent and was looking for a job. At first things were looking bad, but recently everything started going good.

Anyhow, the version I gave to you is my most recent one, mr. Ravven, however due to lots of social and other many problems, I have decided to get back to my home country November's 10th where I will get back on my old pc and get back again in poor, yet happy life, which means you will get my help once again. And no worries my skills wont begone as I have spended like two months drawing, broadening my eye. :)

So you can do whatever you want with this map. Due to my lack activity on any IM or forums, it would be highly appreciated if you contacted me by email next time ramunas.meironas[at]yahoo[dot]com where I get all emails all the time.

Yours faithfully,

Ramunas

--- edit ---

P.s. i miss modeling and art so much:((((((

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🥉Legacy Semifinalist
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Good people, sorry for my dissapearance. For the last three months I had done nothing because I have moved to live in Norway and now I have a tablet and no pc. These last few months were very intense as I had no money, had to find a way to pay for rent and was looking for a job. At first things were looking bad, but recently everything started going good.

Anyhow, the version I gave to you is my most recent one, mr. Ravven, however due to lots of social and other many problems, I have decided to get back to my home country November's 10th where I will get back on my old pc and get back again in poor, yet happy life, which means you will get my help once again. And no worries my skills wont begone as I have spended like two months drawing, broadening my eye. :)

So you can do whatever you want with this map. Due to my lack activity on any IM or forums, it would be highly appreciated if you contacted me by email next time ramunas.meironas[at]yahoo[dot]com where I get all emails all the time.

Yours faithfully,

Ramunas

--- edit ---

P.s. i miss modeling and art so much:((((((
ok man don't worry
already ur map is combined with the original one
i just reuved all ur map cus was a little wrong but is ok
take a time create the uv map in ur map man jaja but it's done
i smoothed and merged some stuff but now it's fine
i keep the geometry don't worry still looking almost the same not big changes just fixed some stuff
maybe i would use some style by vassago there but is not decided yet
just wondering wtf is that object in the lake? jaja

Legacy
★ Black Lounger ★
Discord Member
Best answers
The uv's were correct, only few areas required fixing. Tileable approach sollution works the best in this case.

Anyhow. Guess who is back :p? I will start working on this very soon. I just need to catch the team on Teamspeak.

I am no more
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
The uv's were correct, only few areas required fixing. Tileable approach sollution works the best in this case.

Anyhow. Guess who is back :p? I will start working on this very soon. I just need to catch the team on Teamspeak.
Nice to see someone back on this project , were worried that it got so many versions and none of them got to anything really.

Best answers

I'm glad to see you're back, I tought the way your Buu map was going was awesome. Hope to see some pictures soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom