*Map* ESF_Buu

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think Viper is saying it would be more productive if the mapper could test it themselves rather than waiting for the team and testers to respond

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's simple. While it's totally possible to map out a level without even playing through it, the result has a high chance to be badly designed for gameplay. (no matter how good it looks)
What's making this even harder is the fact that ESF: Final isn't 1.2.3, so we can't just base our design according to the gameplay of the last release.
Without a doubt, there is the issue of people losing motivation, which might not be resolved by having the ability to play the levels we create.
However, I suggest releasing a Level Design ready version of the game, for the community to start working on. It should only have basic movement options, placeholder player models and only the resources required to start up the game.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think Viper is saying it would be more productive if the mapper could test it themselves rather than waiting for the team and testers to respond
True, but our core testing team is pretty good. Esp if we set time aside to do something specific.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Maybe you've thought of it already, but have you asked the guys of NNK or are you the same modelers/mappers? :)

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not the same people. But tell me this. Have you seen NNK active lately?

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Not the same people. But tell me this. Have you seen NNK active lately?
No, but maybe they just lost interest in NNK development. Regardless, it doesn't hurt asking them, it should be a piece of cake for a modeler/mapper to finish ESF_Buu

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, but maybe they just lost interest in NNK development. Regardless, it doesn't hurt asking them, it should be a piece of cake for a modeler/mapper to finish ESF_Buu

NNK had a few people from ESF and was ran mainly by those people. NNK is dead and will probably be dead for a good while. The community is pretty much dead as well. Ready and Kong Kong were the main mappers there pretty much. Ready is here and Kong has been on steam for over 160 days.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
True, but our core testing team is pretty good. Esp if we set time aside to do something specific.
Not saying you guys are bad.

I'm saying a mapper would prob have an easier time of it if they could compile, Check it out, Find an error, Fix it and check it again before handing it off.

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
I'm saying a mapper would prob have an easier time of it if they could compile, Check it out, Find an error, Fix it and check it again before handing it off.
That may be true but it wasn't the point when this map was handed to the community ;P

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I miss Super Vegetto! He did a lot of great work on NNK, I know he wasn't a mapper but you are more or less modelling your maps at this time.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SV has shit going on in real life

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Bad shit or professional work shit? Didn't get what you were implying :/ Damaera didn't you do some mapping in 3ds max some time, will you give it a shot ?

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes, but I work on and off and I'm not sure if my work would necessarily be up to par with the expectations of the team. I'm also not that experienced with environments, and I don't really know what I could really contribute to it. I'll think about it.

As for the issue with testing your work, I don't think limiting the build is even necessary. It may just be easier if there's a way for a simple thing to be released where you can just import your map and fly around in a spectator type perspective.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think mappers already got the "spectator type perspective" in the program they make maps with (though I don't really know shit). I think they would actually need a playable character (a very basic one, not necessarily one from ESF) to properly test the map.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The programs do have a perspective like what you're thinking of, but it's not what I suggested. By spectator perspective, I meant where you free-roam around in first person view, like if you were dead in Counter-Strike.

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The programs do have a perspective like what you're thinking of, but it's not what I suggested. By spectator perspective, I meant where you free-roam around in first person view, like if you were dead in Counter-Strike.
What you don't seem to get is that creating levels goes beyond modelling the environment. Sure, you can recreate some zone from concept art, but it doesn't necessarily mean it will be fun to play in. That's why it's important to get the feel of how a character moves in the playable space.
And, no, you shouldn't use a "first person view, like if you were dead in Counter-Strike" for a game made to be played in third person. Especially not for one with fast gameplay, like ESF has.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Realistically if we get a lot of serious work out of this, we might be able to make a special SVN for mappers, but that'd be up to raven if he wants to go through the effort. I think ppl would need to demonstrate serious commitment before we do that.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I seen SVN so I am now gonna monitor this thread a bit more. If I had someone teach me how the mapping is done, I could probably try.
Maybe get some of the FPs a "Dev Talk Day" and have em teach some of us so we could possibly learn and help out in our own way.
I would love to learn more about the mapping. The tutorial we had at NNK was pretty simple but tutorials don't seem to work for me for some reason. It doesn't stick.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I would also like that! It would be a great incentive if we could help the developers and the community out! If there is no time in doing this, can we just get a "short guide" what we should be working on? So we can look on other tuts on Google!

We do know that trying to complete a map that has been made in 3ds max, isn't something you learn overnight and you should have some experience with the program.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom