Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010

CORSAIR Professional Series HX750

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1600)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 (Has all the features, PCI-E 3.0, cheap, all the reviews are stellar, people are hitting 5GHZ easily on this board.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge - Does it really need any introduction? I don't need the 2600K, because I only game, and HT doesn't help with that, infact, the 2500K wins in some benchies due to the overhead HT creates)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018

Noctua NH-D14 (Best Air Cooler, Thermalmakes Silver Arrow comes close, though.)

[video=youtube_share;fc5VFnytm3o]http://youtu.be/fc5VFnytm3o[/video]

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136239

LG CD / DVD / BluRay, can burn, write, any of them, quality.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233204

Corsair Force Series 3 90GB (Yes, I know about Sandforce issues, but they're fixed, and all my friends swear by them now.)

Max Sequential Read
Up to 550 MB/s

Max Sequential Write
Up to 500 MB/s

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119245

COOLER MASTER CM Storm Series Trooper (Epic case!)

[video=youtube_share;M3UJdeIbtKk]http://youtu.be/M3UJdeIbtKk[/video]

(Epic Cable management)

-----

A few SATA cables and whatnot, but pretty epic. I know the Mobo has only 2x SATAIII connectors, but I do not plan on using raid configs, and 4 is plenty for normal HDD's. People are hitting 5GHZ easily on the new Z68 boards, though I plan to stay at a moderate 4.5GHZ, as I'd feel downright slothy using 5GHZ. I use PC's for about 4-5 years, and my Q6600 has reached that point, so it's time to change it up.

Comes out to about 1089$, shipping included. my GTX470 will be OK for now, I can always replace it later. I cannot wait to order this mofo.

Last edited:
Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm picky with RAM, and G.Skill is not a brand I've bought from.

However, your ASRock is a low cost Asus company spin-off board that seriously kicks ass. I had a 939 board from Asus that was OC'd for 6 years and it ran all kinds of stable. I don't have higher praise for that part. In fact, its coming out of retirement again soon as a NAS device.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Asrock is awesome. They split from ASUS and have been going up in quality. G.Skill is recommended, I read all the benchies so far and it performs exactly the same as Corsairs, in all tests. It has smaller heatspreaders as well, to fit under my cooler, which is gi-normous.

With Sandy Bridge & newer, RAM doesn't matter as much. You don't even need to OC it anymore. Infact, you can just up the Multi on the CPU and don't have to adjust anything else but the Voltage. Also have the new UEFI bios. Reviews have put the Asrock board here in the realm of 200$ ASUS boards, just with less SATA ports. (Honestly though, I don't think I'll ever need more than 6 HDD's, and by the time I do, I'd be on a new rig...)

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/ram/2...out-corsair-vs-crucial-vs-gskill-vs-kingston/

I was going to go with Corsair at first, cause well, they're awesome in everything they do, but I read I'd have to unscrew the heatspreaders due to the fact they were so high my CPU Cooler wouldn't allow it to fit...so yeah, I went with the Ripjaw's X.

One of the best things bout the Noctua is the company that makes it will ship your brackets for mounting it even on future CPU's...for free.

Last edited:
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Asrock is awesome. They split from ASUS and have been going up in quality. G.Skill is recommended, I read all the benchies so far and it performs exactly the same as Corsairs, in all tests. It has smaller heatspreaders as well, to fit under my cooler, which is gi-normous.

With Sandy Bridge & newer, RAM doesn't matter as much. You don't even need to OC it anymore. Infact, you can just up the Multi on the CPU and don't have to adjust anything else but the Voltage. Also have the new UEFI bios. Reviews have put the Asrock board here in the realm of 200$ ASUS boards, just with less SATA ports. (Honestly though, I don't think I'll ever need more than 6 HDD's, and by the time I do, I'd be on a new rig...)

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/ram/2...out-corsair-vs-crucial-vs-gskill-vs-kingston/

I was going to go with Corsair at first, cause well, they're awesome in everything they do, but I read I'd have to unscrew the heatspreaders due to the fact they were so high my CPU Cooler wouldn't allow it to fit...so yeah, I went with the Ripjaw's X.

One of the best things bout the Noctua is the company that makes it will ship your brackets for mounting it even on future CPU's...for free.
Its not performance specs I'm concerned with, rather quality of manufacture. Many ram modules die and cause problems, no matter how nice good ones run, this casts shadows of doubt over the company. You'll often see complaints of DOAs for G.Skill in comments from Newegg, truly representative or not, that kinda scares the green off my lumps/edge off my sword.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've had G.Skill in my rig I put together in 2007. Never heard of G.Skill having a higher DoA rate, they have the same general rate. Lifetime Warranty on both of them, and google shows both have about the same build quality, but to each their own.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Again, I see many modules being returned DOA on newegg. There are other manufacturers which are known to have superior fab processses. For instance, Samsung memory modules were, at one time, the only high quality game in town. They supplied Kingston, PNY and themselves, all three of those brands were known to be rock solid. This isn't an enthusiast thing, this is a I build machines and repair them for a living kind of thing. I'm not saying that they are bad, I'm saying that they aren't excrutiatingly perfect. I'm sure they will perform well, but they will not be as high a grade as the big names, maybe after they've been around a while, but not now. They literally got in the game in 2003.

List of Cuc - Approved Ram brands for rock solid no-nonsense I do not fail:

Kingston
PNY
Corsair
Crucial <-- can't believe I forgot to mention these guys!
Samsung

There are other brands that I would consider at the request of a customer, but I have not had enough experience with the brand to make sure its good. I've heard good things, but I don't have personal knowledge of them working under stress with no errors for years.

OCZ
Mushkin
Patriot
G.Skill falls in this Category as well.

Does not go in customers machine even at their request:

Anything else.

Last edited:
Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, you're the only person I know who feels that way about G.Skill, most consider them pretty much equals. Plus, times change, man. Western Digital used to provide quality drives; yet has had more DoA's than Seagate lately. Yes, Seagate. I know about Samsung, they're a company that doesn't get to much credit for computer parts, mainstream, though they are insanely high quality, especially their SpinPoint series. (Fast, quiet, cheap!)

G.SKILL 4.41%
Corsair 11.76%
OCZ 16.18%
Mushkin 4.41%
Kingston 4.41%
A-Data 2.94%
Crucial 7.35%
GeIL 1.47% (who?)
Patriot 8.82%
DoA rates.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Source?

Again, I am going from personal experience, especially since I garauntee my builds.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just from an enthusiast forum, nothing official. Still, even on Newegg, you can look at the reviews, Corsair has just as many 3 eggs and under as G.Skill does, averaged out. I don't know why you're so against em, but I guess if you don't feel safe with G.Skill, that's you. However, I don't really feel like paying 3$ more, and having to remove the heat spreaders, just because of a 0.01% chance it'll be DoA.

Started a poll over @ Guru3D

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=353048

Now not all of these people make computers for a living, but alot of them have been making custom rigs since the early 90's, so they know a thing or two, Most of them spend several thousand dollars on their PC's, and build them themselves, so I'd say their knowledge, at least on the quality of products, would be up to par.

Last edited:
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Guru3D is a class act outfit. But again, because we seem to not be connecting on ideas here. I'm not against G.Skill, per se, I am against using them without further information on their reliability. RAM companys come and go all the time, the big players have challengers all the time, I'm just not willing to do the crap shoot to see if the challenger is up to snuff on my own machine.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've been using G Skill. No problems so far.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just from an enthusiast forum, nothing official. Still, even on Newegg, you can look at the reviews, Corsair has just as many 3 eggs and under as G.Skill does, averaged out. I don't know why you're so against em, but I guess if you don't feel safe with G.Skill, that's you. However, I don't really feel like paying 3$ more, and having to remove the heat spreaders, just because of a 0.01% chance it'll be DoA.

Started a poll over @ Guru3D

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=353048

Now not all of these people make computers for a living, but alot of them have been making custom rigs since the early 90's, so they know a thing or two, Most of them spend several thousand dollars on their PC's, and build them themselves, so I'd say their knowledge, at least on the quality of products, would be up to par.
I just hopped over there, was I the freind you were speaking of, because if so, you have grossly misrepresented my position.

So I was showing my friend the rig I plan to build, and he won't let up on me buying G.Skill over Corsair. Now, I've used both before and I find them the same quality, yet he won't budge an inch on this matter. He builds custom PC's for people and says he will not use G.Skill in any of them, even if the customer requests them(that seems pretty wrong.)

http://forum.esforces.com/threads/15...=1#post1934888

So what do people think?
List of Cuc - Approved Ram brands for rock solid no-nonsense I do not fail:

Kingston
PNY
Corsair
Crucial <-- can't believe I forgot to mention these guys!
Samsung

There are other brands that I would consider at the request of a customer, but I have not had enough experience with the brand to make sure its good [<- This is a disclaimer for my garuantee]. I've heard good things, but I don't have personal knowledge of them working under stress with no errors for years.

OCZ
Mushkin
Patriot
G.Skill falls in this Category as well.

Does not go in customers machine even at their request: <-- note that this means that the following RAM does not inhabit builds.

Anything else.
Now that you've gone into a tech forum and slandered my personal business, do you intend to go in to make an amendment to your blatantly false claim or do I need to go in there in and shame your pointless lie? You do realize that, even though the possibility is slim, you may have just damaged my business? If you insist that we are freinds, then I insist that you are a pretty poor one.

Also interesting to note that those who do share my backround as a system builder also share my opinion on this situation:

G.Skill is a young company, and doesn't even have long enough history to warrant a 10 year garauntee on parts That does not mean they are bad, or that I will not buy them at the request of a customer. It means I will not warranty that part beyond their manufacturer's warranty, and I will void the warranty altogether under overclock conditions.

You started this thread looking for conversation or input on your build, or you started it to flap your dick in the breeze and have people gawk at how long it was. Which is it? And how the hell did it end up with you slandering me in another community?

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cuc i have OCZs and they are great. Their optimal frequency is higher than the system default of 1.9 so you need to beef it up to 2.1 if you want to get the most out of them, life time warranty for their products that includes OC on them.

When a company tells you you have a life time warranty on OC-ing their product it should tell you they are serious about their quality.

To bad you cant get them anymore (at least in my country)

Last edited:
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cuc i have OCZs and they are great. Their optimal frequency is higher than the system default of 1.9 so you need to beef it up to 2.1 if you want to get the most out of them, life time warranty for their products that includes OC on them.

When a company tells you you have a life time warranty on OC-ing their product it should tell you they are serious about their quality.

To bad you cant get them anymore (at least in my country)
OCZ and Patriot are more likely to get the extend labor warranty because there are people I work with in the field who have anecdotal evidence of awesome. Only enthusiast that I don't know support G.Skill. Mushkin gets good grades from people I respect as well. The bottom line is I will use these four vendors if they are requested by the consumer, G.Skill at the bottom of that list. But I don't support other brands in my builds.

And I've heard of OCZ's rocksteady overclocking, again from a competitor/collegue who uses the part all the time. We've compared, at the top tier, and most of our list matches up on almost every aspect.

Last edited:
Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
OCZ also doesn't do RAM anymore. Talk about blowing something out of the water, just because you wrote something in a confusing way. :p

Nothing was 'intended' as slander, if it was, do you honestly think I would link it? I thought I saw a "?" after "anything else", I didn't notice the :, and I thought you wouldn't put anything on the bottom list into their rigs even at their request. I made this topic so people could comment and we could discuss. However, you came in with a one sided opinion and would not budge, so in my own arguments defense, I asked others in a poll, which you now take as slander, to see what they thought.

I think you read far to much into it. How on Earth would they even know your business, let alone your name? Also, these people are people who build their own rigs, so it's not like lost business...

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Talk about blowing something out of the water, just because you wrote something in a confusing way. :p
Glad my side business is a joke that deserves a smiley. My bad, I should just relax. It doesn't matter that you chose to speak for a business after misreading a post. If anything, that just tells me your skimming my posts anyway, and not actually engaging in conversation, which brings us to:

However, you came in with a one sided opinion and would not budge, so in my own arguments defense, I asked others in a poll, which you now take as slander, to see what they thought.

I think you read far to much into it. How on Earth would they even know your business, let alone your name? Also, these people are people who build their own rigs, so it's not like lost business...
No, but it could be lost reputation. You incorrectly stated my position, rewrote my company policy and then asked people on another forum to help you prove your case. But I overreacted? I came into this with an opinion, anecdotal evidence from years of work (more years, mind you than G.Skill), and a mood to discuss. You have consitantly not understood my position to start with, then you insisted that your opinion was the only right one, when in fact, I had never challenged G.Skill as a company. I only said I would not use them because I don't have enough experience doing business with them to trust them in my client's machines.

I gave you my position on the issue, there are no sides to a position, do you frequently change principals to suit and argument with which you disagreed? Of course I will not budge on my principals, why would you then try to change my opinion? We can share ideas, and we can discuss good or bad track records of product, but you can't force me to give a recomendation that I can't give.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, but it could be lost reputation. You incorrectly stated my position, rewrote my company policy and then asked people on another forum to help you prove your case. But I overreacted? I came into this with an opinion, anecdotal evidence from years of work (more years, mind you than G.Skill), and a mood to discuss. You have consitantly not understood my position to start with, then you insisted that your opinion was the only right one, when in fact, I had never challenged G.Skill as a company. I only said I would not use them because I don't have enough experience doing business with them to trust them in my client's machines.
If you have an actual company, and it has an effect on your business, you could probably sue Mkil for slander.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom