Mr. Satan's name in Japanese?

Best answers
Hi everyone.

I was wondering what Mr. Satan's name means in Japanese, like a literal translation or the meaning of the name like our names have meanings. I would guess that his name has something to do with being a liar or a slanderer since this is what the name Satan means. Does it have anything to do with the biblical character but?

I've been googling for this but can't find it anywhere.

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mister Satan is also in the japanese version of DBZ... they just say it a little different then people in english...

But i have no clue what it is translated to japanese...

But i might explain why he is called that way,

You see, Satan is the devil, in the bible that is (yeah i am religious but blah)

And he is evil... well then, MR Satan is evil to in a way, he is as weak as a mouse compared to the ssj's...

But he takes credit of cells death... so he is the hero.. well that is kinda evil.. he is evil but weak and a coward... and a fool to... and making fun of the devil is just fun in my eyes.. i think thats why they did that.

Because in japan they have another religion (dunno what >_<) and i believe they don't have a satan there... so maybe akira just looked at the western world and made fun of our devil...

AND NOW PEOPLE, DISAGREE WITH ME! :p

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm almost positive it's just a name in Japan, like Hiro or Hero.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Im almost certain it was just another play on words. Mr. Satan, and Videl. Spell Videl in another way and it spells Devil. Bibidi, Babidi, Buu. Its that kinda thing.

Best answers
So what does the japanese name "Satan" mean?

We call our friend "Mister Satan" (but we say it in a stupid voice) because when we eat chilies he can't eat as much as us. And then afterwards he tries to say that he had more than us, kind of like Mr. Satan faking in the cartoons.

And I know a japanese guy called Hiro too. We wanted to see that Hero movie with him, but he saw it without us and then when we asked what he thought of it he said, "We have a saying in Japan... uuh... it was... crap."

Best answers
Mr. Satan translate's into 藤原 Fujiwara (wisteria fields) 聖人 Masato (sacred person)

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tsunami said:
Mr. Satan translate's into 藤原 Fujiwara (wisteria fields) 聖人 Masato (sacred person)
What on Earth are you talking about? Animes often have people with names in English, or commonly say English words.

"Mr. Satan" doesn't mean anything in Japanese and it certainly doesn't translate to "Masato Fujiwara."

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Have to go with Alea on this one here. Mr. Satan is just Mr. Satan, and it certainly isn't a regular japanese name... I'm pretty sure that almost none of the DBZ characters had regular Japanese names. The same with Videl, it's just a play on words as was said before (devil backwords.)

Mr. Satan is called Mr. Satan... just for the hell of it. Your name doesn't always correspond with who you are. Chao Tzu means "stickers" or some crap, does that say anything about his personality? Obviously not. It's true Mr. Satan was a huge phony, but you can't say he didn't try to help the world, for instance when he befriended Fat Buu. Not to mention he saved Vegeta, who otherwise would've been obliterated from existence if not for him. He definitely wasn't an evil guy, even if he was pretty cowardly.

And anyway, how the hell do you think "Mr.", in any way, translates into japanese... it'd just be -san or something.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Its just a name given to him.

And Mr.Satan (hercule) isnt weak at all, he is the strongest man in the world. hes the champ for a reason. just that aliens are stronger, and being able to control your ki brings out more potential.(videl,krillin)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Krillin, Tien, and Yamcha are all WAY tougher then Hercule. And you'll note, I called him Hercule. Why? Because Mr. Satan is a stupid name, that's why. And that is the sole reason it's there--the same reason that people are named Bra and Pantyhose and Jockstrap McGee in that show--because Akira Toriyama apparently thought it was cool.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
tien, yamcha and krillin and them are acceptions, theyve had training he would never get. Satan lacks knowlage of Ki. Hes a great martial artist and is one of the worlds strongest (below the Z fighters).

alota names are stupid, but i wouldnt call him hercule because its not his name.

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, rememember that mr satan chopped a whole pile of ceramic tiles? no man can do that! so that means he is quite strong.. i gues power level of 40..

or as raditz would say

"your power level is puny, only 40.... to bad (mr satan throws a ceramic tile to raditz who catches it, and throws it back with increddible power, and due to the high speed mr satan loses his head :eek: )

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Also, Mr. Satan (Hercule sounds stupid, too much like Hercules >_>) ripped apart a stack of telephone books - THAT IS REALLY STRONG!

The reason I like Mr. Satan so much is that, deep down, he is a hero. He wasn't evil, just way out of his league when it came to the Z-Fighters and their enemies. Mr. Satan stood as a kind of symbol of human strength to the world and even if he was in denial in the begining, he realised that he was not the strongest and there were those far more powerful than him doing the work he wished he could do.

Basically he is a good guy, a little corrupt but who isn't? As for being a coward, I disagree. He had soem balls to do alot of the things he did and of course you'd run away too if you were facing someone like Cell.

Also, he was practically obligated to take up all challenges. Everyone saw him as a saviour type figure...defender of the people, hero.

But seriously, I loved Mr. Satan (thats why I chose to use the name).

Best answers
Ok, so the name has no meaning in japanese. Just wondered if it did, as it's strange to translate it to english and have someone called Satan for western viewers. Most likely why he is called Hercule in the Australian versions.

I just figured since his name was Mr. Satan in Japan, and japan not being mainly christians that perhaps the name meant something else in japan. I personally think he is called that because he is a fake and makes out that he is the best when he isn't. Or because he lied about beating Cell.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mr. Satan said:
Also, Mr. Satan (Hercule sounds stupid, too much like Hercules >_>) ripped apart a stack of telephone books - THAT IS REALLY STRONG!

The reason I like Mr. Satan so much is that, deep down, he is a hero. He wasn't evil, just way out of his league when it came to the Z-Fighters and their enemies. Mr. Satan stood as a kind of symbol of human strength to the world and even if he was in denial in the begining, he realised that he was not the strongest and there were those far more powerful than him doing the work he wished he could do.

Basically he is a good guy, a little corrupt but who isn't? As for being a coward, I disagree. He had soem balls to do alot of the things he did and of course you'd run away too if you were facing someone like Cell.

Also, he was practically obligated to take up all challenges. Everyone saw him as a saviour type figure...defender of the people, hero.

But seriously, I loved Mr. Satan (thats why I chose to use the name).
Actually, I'd have to disagree with you. Satan was a coward, and a 'usurper of fame.' Granted, the Z-senshi didn't want fame or wealth (except perhaps #18), but Satan took credit for things that he didn't do, then throughout his life, continued to try to protect his lie. He went to Buu to try and kill him off guard, cowardly, but Buu was too invincible to notice his pathetic attempts to kill him, so they became friends. I don't think there's any character I disliked more than Mr. Satan in all of Dragonball. I even liked Garlic Junior and his idiot sidekicks better. I think what bothered me most of all was his idiotic laugh.

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmmmm well MR Satan, i gues you are right...

And mr Satan was a hero, if it wasn't for him, kid buu wasn't defeated!

allthough i must say, i love the part where mr Satan fought cell, and cell moved his hand and the poor fellow smacked against the rocks :laff:

He went to Buu to try and kill him off guard, cowardly, but Buu was too invincible to notice his pathetic attempts to kill him, so they became friends. I don't think there's any character I disliked more than Mr. Satan in all of Dragonball. I even liked Garlic Junior and his idiot sidekicks better. I think what bothered me most of all was his idiotic laugh.
Awww comon, fat buu is just a cute big ..thing... who wouldn't be friends with that? and Satan was scared, but wouldn't you be? he gave Buu poisoned candy, no effect, he gave him a video game with C4 on it!!! no effect...

So yeah, becoming friends with him was a good thing, and it seemed that due to that friendship fat buu became a good guy ^^

MR Satan in DBZ is a good fellow.... allthugh a smuck at times.<_<

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The video game thing was underhanded, but you have to commend him for trying at all. By that time he'd long realized there was no way he could take on Buu in mano-e-mano combat or something, it would've just been a huge display of thick-headedness. Buu had gone around leveling entire cities, and Mr. Satan actually accepted that as real now instead of "special effects" and such, so he did the best he could with what he had.

I mean, as a character, I liked his segments about as much as I liked the Namek saga's frequent trips back to Bulma being chased by dinosaurs and all that crap, but I don't think he was all that bad.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I liked Hercule, I thought he was hilarious at times. As for the whole whether he was brave or not bit...there is that one point where he goes after Super Buu one on one just to try to help the dog.

There is a bit of symbolism in that scene, actually: when Buu is going to kill the dog, he charges up a blast on his whole hand, but upon viewing Hercule in his stance ready to fight, he "lightens" the charge to just the tips of his two fingers, as if implying that he isn't even worth wasting as much juice on as the dog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom